finally a Climashield Apex jacket!!!!!!

ljalberta

WKR
I'm probably going to order a 5 oz jacket for use in frigid conditions; double the weight of insulation should make this a real furnace and still only 16 oz in size Large!

Bumping this from the grave. I'm looking into getting a Nunatek PCT Jacket with 5 oz body and 3.6 oz sleeves. Curious how the Robic material and jacket has held up a year down the road. Also if yourself or anyone ended up purchasing a 5 oz Apex jacket and their thoughts on it. My use will be predominantly static glassing sessions while sheep hunting. This past season was a rough opener with cold and snow similar to an October hunt. Looking for something noticeably warmer than the FL Unpronounceable (Kifaru LPP is on the radar, but I like the 5 oz option and the weight of the Nunatek).

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the Robic is holding up great; two Bob Marshall Opens and dozens of elk hunts later

it’s highly water and wind resistant

I haven’t purchased the 5.0, but have purchased their new zipped Apex pants

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
bumping this thread with another Bob Marshall Wilderness Open under my belt and dozens more days afield chasing elk

the jacket is much warmer than it's weight would bely, I think the Robic out helps a bit in this regard- it's highly wind/moisture resistant, but less breathable than some fabrics

I don't use this piece as an active insulation, although I think it could work as such in very cold conditions still hunting. I do use this piece for insulation at camp, during stops, to augment my sleep system and for glassing.

the jacket still lofts excellently, this after numerous stuffing/unstuffing

I see the jacket has been renamed the PCT jacket (I guess to lessen confusion with their Skaha down jacket)

its a good enough jacket I think I'm going to spring for an even warmer one- either 3.6 Apex throughout or possible 5.0 in the chest/back and 3.6 in the arms- we'll see

K2QteYy.jpg

bradb

WKR
I can't remember what material mine is but its 5, 3.6 and also had pants done. Both very good. Really would not change anything

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah I have a pair of their zip Apex pants too- very nice as well!

ccarter

FNG
Just chiming in. I ordered a 5.0 in the body, 3.6 sleeves, and Jan actually did a hood in 2.5 for me to save a tad of weight. I got a slightly heavier shell for durability in an olive greenish- brown. perfect for matching all my mix-matched Camo pants.
In Utah this year, it got very cold with high winds. the jacket blocked wind well, and kept me warm for a couple hours at a time while stationary for glassing. It packs down plenty small, and weighs just shy of 19 oz. in size large with the stuff sack. When the winds kicked up to 40 mph when it was in the teens/low 20s, I was glad I went with the 5.0 insulation. Only one season on it, but I'm happy so far. Fit, finish, zippers, etc. are very well done.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ good deal

I ordered a 3.6 today for colder temps; I went back and forth between 5.0/3.6 sleeves, but based on how warm my 2.5 is, just went all 3.6- I did add a couple of extra inches of length on this one though

my 2.5 is long enough, but figured as this will be for colder temps- might as well get a little extra length