finally a Climashield Apex jacket!!!!!!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
from Nunatak, they aren't exactly household name, but they've been in the down business (quilts, bags, jackets) for quite awhile and a considered one of the best in the business

They recently released a new jacket in Cimashield Apex; it's based on their popular Skaha down jacket, but substitutes Apex in lieu of down. Apex is a wonderful synthetic- very warm for it's weight and unlike almost all syns, doesn't quickly degrade it's loft after stuffing/unstuffing. Down is great, but for wetter weather or longer trips- I just prefer the extra safety margin of Apex. I've been waiting for someone to come up w/ a Apex jacket for some time- I've had very good luck with Apex quilts and knew it would be equally good in garments.

The Nunatak jacket offers some really neat features. First and most importantly imo is that it's fully customizable- it has several sizes (including in between sizes ie M/L), you can add length to the jacket, you can add length to the sleeves- no reason you can't have the perfect fitting jacket no matter your body shape. Next you can choose the amount of insulation 2.5 oz, 3.6 oz, 5.0 oz; you can even customize the insulation- ie using 3.6 oz in the torso and 2.5 oz in the sleeves! They have several fabrics to choose from for the shell and they offer several earth tone colors (I think they may even be offering some camo???? you'd have to call). Hood, hoodless, tall collar and you can add pockets, etc as well.

The jacket I chose was in 2.5 oz Apex w/ a hood and hand warmer pockets- I've always liked these :) I went with the grey Robic fabric- it has a hydrostatic head of 1000 mm which is pretty darn water resistant (but still breathable).

The bottom hem and hood are both adjustable and easy to use. It's a pullover design with a very deep zipper to vent; the zipper is well constructed and sturdy.

it includes it's own stuff sack

When I pulled the jacket out of the stuff sack I was very surprised (pleasantly) how much loft there was. To be honest I thought they may have accidently sent me 3.6 oz Apex. I put the jacket on my scale and it was 10.9 oz with the stuff sack, spot on of their specs for 2.5 oz in size Large :D

The jacket slipped on easily, the fit was perfect, I liked the fit of the hood and the adjustment of the hood and hem are easy.

Going snowshoeing tomorrow so hope to have some more input from the field.

7hKPKUQ.jpg

oP8rkdI.jpg

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Thats pretty cool you can customize it. Kifaru uses the climashied apex in their jacket that's been out awhile.

WoodBow

WKR
I like the ability to customize but there are lots of mfgs making jackets with apex. FL and kifaru for example.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
The cut of the body and hood are identical to Kifaru. Also, the quarter zip to a pocket.... I would venture to say that whoever owns that company also owns a Kifaru LPP and copied it haha.

The cordura on the LPP is what makes it a far superior product though.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was unaware of Kifaru's offering; looks like a solid jacket. The 3.6 oz Apex would be good for colder conditions.

This Apex jacket is new for them, but the Skaha has been out for quite awhile (in down, but the otherwise the identical jacket). Regardless, always good to have additional choices :D

pwsINC

WKR
Love my kifaru. Especially Love the cordura elbow patches. This looks similliar minus the cordura elbow patches.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I took the jacket with yesterday snowshoeing in the Rattlesnake Wilderness, about 8-ish miles in I stopped for lunch- needless to say I was more than just a little wet from sweat. As soon as I stopped I started chilling quickly- I just through the Apex jacket over everything and was able to enjoy my lunch :) I think this is going to be a great 10 oz addition to my pack.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I've been looking to pick up a new puffy, and this one looks like a really good option to consider. Was going to try the new Sitka Kelvin Active, but they aren't offering solids....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Now if they'd just make them as a full zip jacket instead of a pullover. And an outer material like the KUIU Kenai. Is that customizable as well?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
the full zip is definitely an option, you'd have to call for price as I don't think it's listed

not sure what fabric is used in the Kuiu- I think they have 4 or 5 fabrics to choose from, the Robic I chose is the most "storm worthy". they may be able to get additional fabrics, I know there was talk of a few camo fabrics- I'd give them a call or shoot them an email

bhylton

WKR
i would check them out but it appears the entire website other than their homepage is not working :( anyone else having the same trouble??

DaveC

WKR
The cut of the body and hood are identical to Kifaru. Also, the quarter zip to a pocket.... I would venture to say that whoever owns that company also owns a Kifaru LPP and copied it haha.

The cordura on the LPP is what makes it a far superior product though.

Joe, are you a current or just a past Kifaru employee?

"far superior" for one person is stupid overkill for another.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Joe, are you a current or just a past Kifaru employee?

"far superior" for one person is stupid overkill for another.
Yes I am a past employee of Kifaru. What does that have to anything? And the extra protection and durability of the different ripstop nylon and Cordura is not stupid Overkill but makes the product more durable and resistant which in turn makes it Superior , duh

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes I am a past employee of Kifaru. What does that have to anything? And the extra protection and durability of the different ripstop nylon and Cordura is not stupid Overkill but makes the product more durable and resistant which in turn makes it Superior , duh

More durable to you is unnecessarily heavy to me, this making it less superior.

You wouldn't presume to say that you're the ultimate arbiter of what's the best piece of gear for each person, would you?

armyjoe

Super Moderator
More durable to you is unnecessarily heavy to me, this making it less superior.

You wouldn't presume to say that you're the ultimate arbiter of what's the best piece of gear for each person, would you?
Never once did I presume that.....

BUT, everyone has their opinion and since your body cannot tell the difference between a couple ounces I still believe the Kifaru is superior for its durability