Finally a Truly Universal Digiscope Adapter

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any input on single vs. double gripper? Sorry if this was asked earlier, just curious on pros and cons, weight/price, etc.
Most of the other reviews are linked in my article. I'd say it depends what most important to you in your digiscope setup. The double gripper is rock solid at a bit more wieght and a bit more space in the pack. I'm currently trying it out with just the single gripper, it's a bit less cumbersome and easier to get the phone in and out - down side is it doesn't hold as securely but it is quick to make minor adjustments and get the camera back centered.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

JBivens

FNG
@realunlucky. If you were going to buy one, using it almost exclusively with an IPhone X, would you feel the need for the double? Going to sit on a spotter, with perhaps some occasional 12X50 use.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
@realunlucky. If you were going to buy one, using it almost exclusively with an IPhone X, would you feel the need for the double? Going to sit on a spotter, with perhaps some occasional 12X50 use.
You would be fine with the single. Basically the Novagrade has a tab that rotates to align the camera horizontal and the gripper does the alignment vertically and holds it steady. Where you position the single gripper on your phone makes a difference in ease of use.

The double gripper basically keeps your phone from being able to rotate slightly. If there is rotation it's slight and you can quick easily adjust phone with a push of a finger.

If I going to leave my phone in the adapter because I was taking a bunch of photos and setting up my digiscope in a hurry I'd use the double. The single is faster getting the phone in and out but might need a slight adjustment to perfectly center camera.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still carrying the novagrade, and still enjoying capturing and sharing these moments.
b2f1a1ef682f58418da932a8a08019cb.jpg

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Havent tried the Novagrade. Im sure it is built and works well but 9.3 oz seems pretty heavy to me for an adapter. I find myself tracking every ounce for high country hunting, especially the older I get.

I use the "Tines Up PhoneCam"

PhoneCam is a universal adapter that will fit most any modern spotting scope eyepiece. No parts to change out to get a good fit so it can be adapted to different optics much faster. Has nice clicks that feel like a scope turret when adjusting. Nice and light too. Heres a link if interested.

OP
realunlucky

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Havent tried the Novagrade. Im sure it is built and works well but 9.3 oz seems pretty heavy to me for an adapter. I find myself tracking every ounce for high country hunting, especially the older I get.

I use the "Tines Up PhoneCam"

PhoneCam is a universal adapter that will fit most any modern spotting scope eyepiece. No parts to change out to get a good fit so it can be adapted to different optics much faster. Has nice clicks that feel like a scope turret when adjusting. Nice and light too. Heres a link if interested.

Plenty of ways to skin the digi scoping cat out there now days. More choices if your completely set on which optic and phone you want use, fewer if want any phone any optic. My buddy has the original tines up with the aluminum eye piece cup that fits his Swarovski, it's much lighter then their current fits all adapter, a nice setup. It won't work if he changes either of his components though. Even thier new fits all adapter requires a glued on threaded ring, changing phones requires a new ring glued on. Also when comparing the adapter rings Novagrade uses a full compression ring while tines up uses four clamping tab setup. You can also lighten up the novagrade by using a single gripper instead of two, which was pointed out in the linked review article. I like the ability of my hunting partner or wife and kids to swap thier phone in there and take the pictures they want to share and then I can quickly swap it back to my phone. I know I'll change phones at some point in the future and possibly switch to a different scope too.

Ledd Slinger

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of ways to skin the digi scoping cat out there now days. More choices if your completely set on which optic and phone you want use, fewer if want any phone any optic. My buddy has the original tines up with the aluminum eye piece cup that fits his Swarovski, it's much lighter then their current fits all adapter, a nice setup. It won't work if he changes either of his components though. Even thier new fits all adapter requires a glued on threaded ring, changing phones requires a new ring glued on. Also when comparing the adapter rings Novagrade uses a full compression ring while tines up uses four clamping tab setup. You can also lighten up the novagrade by using a single gripper instead of two, which was pointed out in the linked review article. I like the ability of my hunting partner or wife and kids to swap thier phone in there and take the pictures they want to share and then I can quickly swap it back to my phone. I know I'll change phones at some point in the future and possibly switch to a different scope too.

Good points. I just finally swapped out my old Samsung S5 for a new Note 9 this year so I dont change phones very often. The Novagrade is definitely more universal for using different phones. No issue with the new aluminum Tines Up grabbing the eyepiece. A lot of good options out there. As long as we can get a good picture with whatever we use then that's what counts ;)

I had the original Phone Skope setup prior to the Tines Up. Wasnt impressed with the cheap 3D printed plastic of the Phone Skope for the money and it wasnt very universal at all. Regretted buying it. Dont know if they've changed their design these days...

aeasley10

WKR
Fo for all you digiscoping wizards do you guys see any reason to use a DSLR over an iPhone specifically I have a Canon 70D DSLR and an iPhone XS just wondering if there’s any real benefit to me buying a novascope adapter kit for the DSLR. Using Vortex Razor 65 spotter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think there are plenty of downsides and not many upsides to using the DSLR for digiscoping. The availability of options for the DSLR is an issue, so is the expense and weight. You'll also need a pretty stout tripod and head to handle the weight, may need a balance type arca swiss plate so it's not too tippy. Your DSLR might not offer 4k video while your phone probably does. Upside, if you overcome the above and get an animal steadily in frame the image might be noticeably better. That's my experience at least having tried both.

lawson8

FNG
Quick shout out to Novagrade digiscoping adapters, this thing is awesome. Since I upgraded to a new phone and have yet to find my perfect spotting scope I wanted a system that was usable with any choice that I made in the future. So with in mind I started researching the various Universal adapter systems. With a few keys stokes I discovered this article by Matt Cashell, Novagrade Phone Adapter. Guess I hadn't been paying attention because my search followed up with a Justin Crossley article, Versatility in Digiscoping. Then there some member feed back in this thread, Novagrade Ranger App. All these reviews are excellant reads but I'll share a few quotes from the articles.
Bitterroot Bulls--"This is an instrument built for a lifetime of hard, versatile use."
Justin Crossley--"After the initial alignment, I didn't have to make any adjustments when attaching my phone for proceeding pictures. That speaks to the robustness of the adapter"
SLDMTN--"universal normally means it can do them all but none of them well, which is not the case here"
elkeaterco--"I really like how secure and easy it attached to my spotter"
sneaky--"The adapter hasn't skipped a beat, just wish the rest of my gear would hold up that well"
Those above testimonials were more than enough for me to want to get a Novagrade on the way for myself.
Will that fit the large iPhone?

Zingnut

FNG
I can also add to the Novagrade bandwagon. I recently bought the single clamp model and it worked great between my Athlon spotting scope, and my Leupold VX6HD scope on my rifle. I was also able to switch between my iPhone8 and my Note 8. So simple, its a one and done solution for digiscoping. I beat the tar out of it dropping it while on the spotting scope and smashing it in my pack and nothing but scratches and flawless performance. Great job to Novagrade and its well worth the $$.

~Jeff

Has anyone used this with the iPhone 11? Haven't been able to confirm if it fits with the dual cameras that protrude from the main phone body. Thanks

Zingnut

FNG
I have used it with an iPhone XR, 8, 6s, and galaxy note 8 with no issues.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
It will fit any size iPhone and works with the protruding dual camera on my iPhone 7 Plus, so should be fine with the iPhone 11 Pro.

as.ks.ak

WKR
So I have both the novagrade adapters. The phone one and the DSLR body mount adapter.

I’ve found they both have their place. I tend to take the dslr one quite a bit because it takes up less room and I take my DSLR everywhere. Is it a bit more of a PITA to get it to set just right? Sometimes. But what I love more than the quality is the added depth of field you get in these types of photos. These three below are all using the novagrade DSLR adapter. Perfect? No. They were all taken during mid morning July mirage. Scouting is way more fun with an adapter like that one! Big fan.

b37ee5a49b926b7e2e7fc54835a7825a.cr2
1b1918a7fcf427f5195c588b917459b0.cr2
89072fadb2c48318996e1930f8294ff3.cr2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11tdm11

FNG
Pricey, but not too bad considering you need multiple adapters for multiple optics which adds up. Dang it Rokslide you’re gonna put me in the poorhouse!
Try out the Phone Cam. Been running it for a while not and its an awesome universal adapter system!