Finally chose between the Kifaru Duplex Timberline 2 and the Mystery Ranch 6500

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
After a lot of deliberation about whether to buy a Kifaru DT2 or a MR 6500 I finally made my decision yesterday. I need to start off by saying that both companies build incredible products and have been great to deal with when I have called them with questions.

My decision really came yesterday when I stopped by Kifaru which is on the west side of the Denver Metro area. Aron, who participated in the design of the Duplex Timberline packs took the time to meet to show me the prototype DT 1, 2, and 3, help me decide which size pack is best for my needs, and to determine whether aluminum or composite stays fit me best. Aron is a great guy who is extremely helpful and obviously very focused when it comes to hunting and packs.

After seeing the design and build quality of the DT series as well as meeting with Aron, other members of the design manufacturing team and Angie in sales I was completely sold on Kifaru. Angie even took me on a tour of the Kifaru facility, showing me the various areas where panels get cut out, sewn, and staged for shipment (I'll bet I saw some of the things that some of you have mentioned waiting for all set to ship). We also passed Patrick's office where he apparently is always working on new designs and products.

I know that I couldn't have gone too far wrong with either MR or Kifaru, but after placing my order for a DT2 (set to arrive in July) I am confident that I will wind up with a pack that fits me like a glove, is incredibly well made, and that comes from a company that is intent on building long-term relationships with its customers.

Thanks to all at Kifaru for your time and help in making a tough decision much easier!

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You will be happy with your choice. The longer you deal with them the harder it is to get away.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
I just received a T2 pack i bought from a forum member. All I can say is wow! You will be happy!

Hello all. This is my first post to this forum, I was just turned on to it a couple days ago by a friend. I too just ordered a DT1 a little over a week ago, and having gone over many packs in the last couple months, I think (hope) I made the right decision. It's kind of tough forking over that much money on a pack that I've never even seen before, and reading this kind of stuff makes me feel better about doing so.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You won't regret your decision, and if you do there is a very good return, or resale value.

millsms

FNG
same question i had

I have had the same dilemma. I can't decide between the DT3 with cargo panel vs the MR crew cab. My real concern is that i have a 20in torso and with the NICE frame its only 21in. I like the idea of the 26in stays on the Duplex frame. Im 6'2" 32 in inseam. I called MR and they just said shouldn't be a problem we've sold alot of the NICE frames and that's not an issue? Any help would be appreciated. I know quality of both is great just wanting to know that the comfort of a heavy load won't be an issue

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
I am 6'4" and the 26" stays provide real lift with the frame alone. As I mentioned before MR makes great products, but from what I understand most of the lift in their packs comes from the attachment of the load lifters to their bags and not from the frame itself. Therefore, the load lifters do little to nothing on the short MR CC or other day packs. You can get a cargo panel to attach to your frame, but I just went with a Grab-It to carry my bow or to haul meat or gear to free up space in my pack for meat.

millsms

FNG
Rye, yeah i talked to Aron and got those questions answered. LIke anything, its hard to see how everything works without actually touching the pack...but i think i'm gonna go with the DT3 and cargo haul and if needed later for extended hunts get the DT1. Thanks for the help..i'm gonna definately get the 26in stays.

stephen b

WKR
Rye, yeah i talked to Aron and got those questions answered. LIke anything, its hard to see how everything works without actually touching the pack...but i think i'm gonna go with the DT3 and cargo haul and if needed later for extended hunts get the DT1. Thanks for the help..i'm gonna definately get the 26in stays.

You will not be sorry IMO; as I am also a convert from a MR Nice frame to the Kifaru Duplex, and could not be happier. MR has great bags, but that Nice frame did not work for me, and it was not only about the ht. of the frame. To me the Kifaru frame is better because of the extended frame length, the suspension, the way the hip/ lumbar section stays where it supposed to AND because it is to me a lot more comfortable with either light or hvy. loads.

As far as the length of the Kifaru duplex- I have a 18-18.5 torso length ( 5'8" - 30" inseam) and I have a MMR duplex frame ( 24" stays) and it works so much better than the MR Nice frame for me.

Sounds like a good decision on your part- I do not think you will be unhappy with your choice.

millsms

FNG
You will not be sorry IMO; as I am also a convert from a MR Nice frame to the Kifaru Duplex, and could not be happier. MR has great bags, but that Nice frame did not work for me, and it was not only about the ht. of the frame. To me the Kifaru frame is better because of the extended frame length, the suspension, the way the hip/ lumbar section stays where it supposed to AND because it is to me a lot more comfortable with either light or hvy. loads.

As far as the length of the Kifaru duplex- I have a 18-18.5 torso length ( 5'8" - 30" inseam) and I have a MMR duplex frame ( 24" stays) and it works so much better than the MR Nice frame for me.

Sounds like a good decision on your part- I do not think you will be unhappy with your choice.

I ordered the DT3 with Cargo Panel and a small and medium pouch! I'm stoked and can't wait for it to get here! The smaller stays on the MR, i just don't see how it can get you lift on only a 21 in frame! I'm excited to get rid of my eberlestock (worked ok for some use but heavy loads was very painful!)

MR makes a Quality pack but not in the same league of a Kifaru when it comes to fit and carry!! Not even close.

Last edited:
I ordered the DT3 with Cargo Panel and a small and medium pouch! I'm stoked and can't wait for it to get here! The smaller stays on the MR, i just don't see how it can get you lift on only a 21 in frame! I'm excited to get rid of my eberlestock (worked ok for some use but heavy loads was very painful!)

I have the EXACT same set up, switched form the longbow, I am 6'2'' and it was way too short, 2 pounds heavier, 2000 ci smaller, and the Scope goes on the inside where it takes up 1200 of your 2000 CI. Dont get me wrong the MR is a GREAT pack, but for me the Kifaru DT3 with cargo panel is the PERFECT pack for what i need. I have done two real quick overnighters this season already and it has been better to carry 40 pounds while hunting than any pack i have tried.

That cargo panel is a great deal. Like mentioned you dont need all 50 straps that come with it. I hooked mine on folded in half and it acts like a grab it. if I dont need it i roll it up and store it (in place) onthe bottom of the pack and when i need it I just unfold it and i can haul a hind quarter. How can that not be worth the 14 OZ? I can show pics of it folded in half like a grab it, but i think it is pretty slef explanatory, GREAT way to carry a bow. I had the 2200 for years and used the cargo panel on that thing CONSTANTLY and really missed it on my MR longbow.

You made a great choice

Joe

Yep. Kifarus are the best. I have had both at some point and Kifaru packs are hands down the best. I have a few kifaru packs.