Finally did it! Upgraded knives for the house and meat processing..Victorinox

rbljack

WKR
After numerous years of dealing with less than stellar knives around the house for meat processing, I finally decided to say the hell with it. I didn't draw any tags this year, so I might as well upgrade my knife game. Timing was good too because the wife was complaining about our "crappy steak knives"....SO....

Started with the 7 piece Victorinox Fibrox pro BBQ set on amazon. Then I added extra Butchering knives ( 6" semi stiff boning knife, , 5" Flexible boning knife, 8" fillet knife, the 10" Granton Butcher knife for large cuts, the 7" Granton Edge Santoku (chopper), and yes, the set of 6 steak knives! I debated higher end forged knives and making the purchases in stages, but the Fibrox Pro handles that are dishwasher safe seemed to be the best value in a decent knife set.

Pretty excited about this purchase. Its been a few years "in the works" that I kept putting off...but no more! I've been processing my own game animals for years and this upgrade is WAY overdue!

For those wondering what else goes into a processing kit, here is what I have put together that I find useful:
1. Two of the large grey tubs for meat with lids. (during off season...they store some of the kit contents listed below.
2. A decent sized meat grinder (go as big as you can afford), Ok....correction...buy once, cry once is more appropriate here. If you are doing elk and larger game, scale up the grinder to match the amount of game meat you have to process. Back in the day..we processed two elk with an OSTER kitchen center that had a grinder attachment> We flat wore that thing out! And the smaller hole means more work with the push stick. It took a LONG time to grind up to elk trim piles! The larger throat grinders will process meat faster/quicker typically.
3. Add the packaging system with the 2" stuff tube and Tape Dispenser for quick packaging of Ground Meat.
4. Dehydrator
5. Meat slicer
6. Proper Knives, steel, and sharpeners
7. Zip lock bags, plastic wrap, freezer wrap, sharpies, and freezer tape.
8. Butchers twine for tying up roasts.
9. A few cutting boards.
10. Last year I added a portable fillet table from Cabelas that folds up when not in use. It works well for extra "counter space" in the kitchen when processing time comes around. Lots of other uses year round too.

I still don't have the sausage stuffer kit but can make due with the grinder for now. Eventually a 15 pound vertical sausage stuffer will be added to the list.

Last edited:

airbuds

FNG
Wow! Congrats. Still waiting for the right time to upgrade mine. The ones I have aren't crappy yet but upgrade is still necessary.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
thanks..i will post an update if/when I get to shoot or process a local whitetail or two hopefully.

You will like those knives! Victorinox is all I use everyday. 6” curved semi-stif, 5” curved semi-stiff, and 8” or 10” breaking knife. Two possibilities you can add as well is a knife scabbard with a chain belt and a boning hook. Keeps your knives right at your side when you need them and off the table.

Sweet. I did an upgrade a couple of years ago and am very happy. I process 2-4 whitetails a year most years. I bought a couple of sets of knives but TBH I use the hell out of the victorinox boning knives. For the last deer I did (quartered in the field) I used two boning knives and a few cuts with a breaking knife.

Another favorite purchase I made was a 18x30 cutting board and some 20x30 cutting mats. They make cutting easier regardless of the surface and clean up is very easy.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
ive been averaging 2 deer a year, sometimes 3. For those just getting started....there are many videos on youtube that will help. My two favorites are Scott Rae and the Bearded Butchers. Scott Rae is my fav simply because he is overseas and does butchering videos on smaller deer. He's a little different, but entertaining at the same time.

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
You will like those knives! Victorinox is all I use everyday. 6” curved semi-stif, 5” curved semi-stiff, and 8” or 10” breaking knife. Two possibilities you can add as well is a knife scabbard with a chain belt and a boning hook. Keeps your knives right at your side when you need them and off the table.
I put a lot of thought and research in before buying. I found lots of butchers that would recommend the Vic knives with the Fibrox handles. The only knife I wanted and couldn't find on amazon was the 5" semi stiff. I went with a 5" flexible and 6" semi stiff to compare. Its not in the list above, but I also did order the 4.5 inch thin poultry boning knife. I realize I didn't need ALL these knives for butchering a deer, but we needed a decent set for the kitchen, so I figured id just get everything at once.

We have a block we can use for storing the most common ones and we have a wooden knife organizer in a drawer for the bigger stuff that wont fit in the block. That bag that comes with the set will be for me to take on trips. I can just pull a few knives from the set and throw them in the bag for travel. The ONLY thing I didn't get that I debated on was the actual cleaver. But at another 100 bucks, I decided to pass. I hardly ever use a saw, and have never Needed to have a cleaver, so that wasn't added. After "getting by" for years, Im pretty damn excited to get these in and start using them. OH>...and that is one thing I completely forgot....the boning hook!! never used one, but see them used all the time. Do you recommend a certain one that is higher quality than the rest? I completely overlooked this item.

Last edited:
I can’t remember the brand of my boning hook but I’ll look tomorrow when I get to work. The handle is orange and it’s ambidextrous. Some are labeled as right or left according to which side the hook comes out of. I like mine right in the middle. They also come in different lengths. The middle length is perfect. It takes a little bit to get used to it but once you figure it out you will wonder how you ever got along without it. Lol Check out Walton’s or Bunzl/Koch for all kinds of processing equipment. I buy mine from Bunzl in boxes of six knives per box. I will use them all in a year

OP
R

rbljack

WKR
Update on this....I've processed two wild hogs and whitetail so far this year with the new knives, and I have no complaints. Good edge retention so far, and comfortable in the hand. I even added a cpl more to the set including this one:

Victorinox Black Boning - Utility 4" Blade, 4 inch, Multi.​

I bought the cover for it, and am considering carrying it as part of my hunting/kill kit. Its 3.4 ounces with the cover. Combined with a replaceable knife, I think it might make a pretty good lightweight combination while remaining comfortable to use.

Reactions: ODB
Update on this....I've processed two wild hogs and whitetail so far this year with the new knives, and I have no complaints. Good edge retention so far, and comfortable in the hand. I even added a cpl more to the set including this one:

Victorinox Black Boning - Utility 4" Blade, 4 inch, Multi.​

I bought the cover for it, and am considering carrying it as part of my hunting/kill kit. Its 3.4 ounces with the cover. Combined with a replaceable knife, I think it might make a pretty good lightweight combination while remaining comfortable to use.

Do you have a link to the cover (sheath?) you’re talking about?

psalm1715

FNG
I use the victorinox to do a lot of the indoor processing, but the game changer for me was using the Halvalon knives. It is nice to simply replace a blade rather than fuss with sharpening it, and it's always razor edges.

I bought a bunch of Vics about 5/6 years ago They was on sale so I stocked up. Very happy with mine. Easy to keep an edge on. Im fussy about a sharp knife so i touch up quite often while cutting up meat.
i dont consider myself a expert sharpener so its better for me to keep a good edge rather than to let the knife get dull. This got easier after I learned to use a steel.