Finally drew Moose in Idaho

Okay, finally drew my Idaho Moose tag. I've hunted North and East in Montana of Unit 7 but not in 7 yet just a little fishing on St Joe years ago. I'm scheduling a meeting with the biologist and would appreciate any helpful pointers. I would be willing to give my ELK and Deer tips Quid Pro Quo :)

Thanks everyone, best of luck on your draws this year

Attachments

• fluffy.jpg
    fluffy.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 118
OP
SawtoothOle
The Elk was fuzzy and the kid is nicknamed Fluffy, his hair is fluffy, he doesn’t really respond to pain, he’s kinda tough, like calling a big guy “tiny”. 🤣

Bl704

WKR
Congrats! Best of luck!

Only advice I can offer, 1) find someone that can help, if you get one. A friend of mine shot one last year, took hours to breakdown (with 3 people). They got the choice bits out and hung quarters. My buddy and I joined them that evening as they were headed back to camp. We packed out a front quarter each. Next day we packed the rest and the skull. Big animals.

2) I'm always finding them near water.

OP
SawtoothOle
I saw a nice bull moose on the south side of Middle Sisters peak in Alpine creek last fall, if it were my tag I would hunt Sisters saddle back to bluff saddle on the 201 road, of course north off the 210 as it divides unit 9 and unit 7. lots of moose sign at Rutledge saddle too! good luck
That’s interesting, a friend of a friend said Sisters was a great moose area. I’ll definitely be scouting that area. Thank you!

OP
SawtoothOle
Congrats! Best of luck!

Only advice I can offer, 1) find someone that can help, if you get one. A friend of mine shot one last year, took hours to breakdown (with 3 people). They got the choice bits out and hung quarters. My buddy and I joined them that evening as they were headed back to camp. We packed out a front quarter each. Next day we packed the rest and the skull. Big animals.

2) I'm always finding them near water.
Well if we me and the boys get one and it’s off the road it may be a three day packout. I’ll be careful not to turn my 10 year old son into a road hunter by making him pack to much. Thank you.

280Ackley

WKR
Learn to cow call. Find fresh tracks start calling. That’s how I got mine and my son got his. I’ve seen multiple nice bulls along the 201.

Last edited:
OP
SawtoothOle
Learn to cow call. Find fresh tracks start calling. That’s how I got mine and my son got his both in unit 9. I’ve seen multiple nice bulls along the 201.
Thank you, will do. Currently half my time is watching moose videos, OnX, and trying to get two weeks or more off in October.
Next is nerding out on Moose calls.

I saw a nice bull moose on the south side of Middle Sisters peak in Alpine creek last fall, if it were my tag I would hunt Sisters saddle back to bluff saddle on the 201 road, of course north off the 210 as it divides unit 9 and unit 7. lots of moose sign at Rutledge saddle too! good luck
I was elk hunting there last fall in September, some guys camped by copper just south of beaver creek along the east side of 201 had a bull moose cruise their camp, a couple were also seen in cairn creek buck creek saddle. Seems the moose are doing better than elk up there. I also saw a nice cow on the 201 near the split to bluff creek.

I know this is an older thread, but I was looking to see if anyone had any feedback on the unit for mule deer. I'm looking at the Nov muzzleloader hunt for 2023, and and was curious on the terrain, forest density, a basic idea on deer numbers and the weather I can expect up there in Mid November. I'm from the W Central part of the state and typically hunt whitetails in Unit 16 in December. Looking for some new country to hunt.....also looking at the Se side of the state but the muleys got hammered this winter.

johnsd16

WKR
I know this is an older thread, but I was looking to see if anyone had any feedback on the unit for mule deer. I'm looking at the Nov muzzleloader hunt for 2023, and and was curious on the terrain, forest density, a basic idea on deer numbers and the weather I can expect up there in Mid November. I'm from the W Central part of the state and typically hunt whitetails in Unit 16 in December. Looking for some new country to hunt.....also looking at the Se side of the state but the muleys got hammered this winter.
I sent you a pm