Finally getting llamas

gabenzeke

WKR
After a long wait, I'll finally be getting two llamas. I'll be headed out in the spring to pick the two that I want. I'm getting females, but they're trained Packers. My question is, I'd eventually like to breed them to build up a bigger string. Can a pregnant llama still pack or do I have to give them the year off?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
This is pretty cool. In a perfect world, I’d have a pair myself. Congrats.

*i don’t know the actual answer to your question but my guess is that Llamas are so hardy that pregnancy has little
To no impact on their packing.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
I know that they can and that people do but most the serious packers I know frown on it. Llamas have an 11 month gestation period and are actually pretty tough to tell if they are pregnant without a vet. Most quality females that are worth breeding are pretty much pregnant all the time. I certainly would keep minimal weight on the llama and pack extra food in for them if you thought one was pregnant. My buddies stick a male llama in with them and can tell how the female act whether or not the female is pregnant.

We have a female that got pregnant because we waited too long to get one of our males castrated and failed to separate him from the herd in time. Extremely difficult to tell that she was pregnant. We unknowingly took her on my Elk hunt last year and she packed out a heavy load of meat at 2 months pregnant. The Cria turned out to be fine and healthy. Another thing to think about is if you breed one of your females, not only will she be out of packing order for 11 months, but probably at least 6 months after until the Cria is weaned. Ultimately if you plan on breeding one then you should get a third llama that way you can leave mama and baby at home and still take 2 llamas on trips. Congrats on your decision they are great animals!

OP
G

gabenzeke

WKR
I'm getting mine for 3500. Trained Packers, but they're females which likely accounts for the lower cost.

CBECK61

Lil-Rokslider
Wow that’s more than I was expecting
Honestly its a demand thing. Any serious commercial packer is booked out all hunting season and will buy any commercial packer for $4000 that they can get their hands on. The usable llamas that are 2000-2500 are getting bought up as soon as they hit the market. Lack of bloodline diversity makes its harder for breeders in the country and most people won't start packing with a llama until they hit 4 years old but they don't hit their stride until 7. Horses are in the opposite boat where there are tons on the market because nobody wan't to pay to stable or feed them. Best bet is to pay to get a 1 or 2 year old and train them yourself which is not super difficult and start hunting them at age 4.

I also pack with females and have 4 of them. Two of them will be pregnant this year and I am going to try some light packing with them after they are about three months pregnant. I am just waiting on pregnancy tests to see how far along they are. They should be about 2 months pregnant if things happened the way I think they did.

Paul M

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure why she has ears back she is fairly new to the string
# 3,4,5,6 are from scary Mary

After a long wait, I'll finally be getting two llamas. I'll be headed out in the spring to pick the two that I want. I'm getting females, but they're trained Packers. My question is, I'd eventually like to breed them to build up a bigger string. Can a pregnant llama still pack or do I have to give them the year off?

I packed with females last year and they were great. They seem to get along in a string much better than males. The tough thing is whether you spit check your females or have an ultrasound done it is never a guarantee that they are pregnant. There is no sense in giving them the year off when you bought them for packing and they may/may not be pregnant. Just don't push them to their limits and you should be fine.

thats my plan but my issue is lets just say my horse experience is i know enough to get in trouble so I will be looking for a couple good ones and start with mini trips to get to know each other.

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dang me too! I was leaning that route myself but man can get a dang good mule for that and u an ride him
thats my plan but my issue is lets just say my horse experience is i know enough to get in trouble so I will be looking for a couple good ones and start with mini trips to get to know each other.
Simply knowing that may actually help you stay out of trouble. 😉