Finally getting serious about arrows...

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all...avid lurker here but first time posting. I've archery hunted for several years now but never got crazy with my arrows, just bought whatever Gold Tips seemed reasonably priced, had them cut and went to shooting. It's worked out fine and kills deer (primarily hunt whitetail) but I would like to take the plunge and get a little more serious about my setup this year.

I shoot a Mathews Vertix, 70 lb, 29" draw. I'm thinking I want to end up in the 475 gr ballpark all said and done. I'm thinking 300 spline Easton Axis cut to 28", 3 vane, 50 gr insert, 100 gr head. What am I missing or not thinking through? Thanks fellas!

Brendan

WKR
Very close to the setup I have.

300 spine Easton Axis with 175 grains total up front gets me to 508 grains (i think) when cut ~27.5 Carbon to Carbon using 3 AAE Max Stealth and a 4" wrap (Potentially even cut a little shorter than that?). Drop it down to 150 up front and you're ~483. If you go a half inch longer, add 5-6 grains. If you want to run lighted nocks I think that adds about 10 grains.

If you want to go a little lighter you can choose Black Eagle Rampage. I use those with a 75 grain insert instead of 50 and am in the 490's if I remember correctly.

I personally like the flexibility to run a 100 grain broadhead plus 25 grain iron will collar, or switch to a 125 grain field point or 125 grain broadhead without collar so I also choose the rest of my setup appropriately.

Last edited:

N2TRKYS

WKR
Nothing wrong with Gold Tips at all. I’ve got a Gold Tip XT Hunter and a Black Eagle Carnivore arrow setup. Both are very good setups and are very accurate.

Rob5589

WKR
No problem with that set up. I shoot a .300 GT Hunter at 28.5" c2c, 100 gr head with 60gr insert, GT nock, 3 Blazers, which ends up at 466 total.

OP
Jermh

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
No problem with that set up. I shoot a .300 GT Hunter at 28.5" c2c, 100 gr head with 60gr insert, GT nock, 3 Blazers, which ends up at 466 total.
I'm running the regular Hunters right now too but they are 340's. I had an arrow break when I shot my buck this year, which could have happened for a number of different reasons but I'd like to get something stiffer and if I'm gonna switch up anyway I kinda want to geek out on it at least a little lol

Hey all...avid lurker here but first time posting. I've archery hunted for several years now but never got crazy with my arrows, just bought whatever Gold Tips seemed reasonably priced, had them cut and went to shooting. It's worked out fine and kills deer (primarily hunt whitetail) but I would like to take the plunge and get a little more serious about my setup this year.

I shoot a Mathews Vertix, 70 lb, 29" draw. I'm thinking I want to end up in the 475 gr ballpark all said and done. I'm thinking 300 spline Easton Axis cut to 28", 3 vane, 50 gr insert, 100 gr head. What am I missing or not thinking through? Thanks fellas!
Sounds perfect. If you are going to build your self make sure to square the arrows front and back end. Also, nock fit is very important. New arrows and different nocks may not fit your string properly.

That setup sounds perfect. I shoot a 65# Vertix at 28.5” and have the same setup your looking at but go 125g tips to weaken the spine a touch. mine come in around 515g. With your extra poundage and half inch draw you’ll be good at 100 g tips.

Brizzle

FNG
For the amount of speed you lose vs the amount of kinetic energy you gain it’s not worth a heavy/high FOC build. There’s no replacement for shot placement, deer haven’t gotten any thicker skin recently. A good fixed blade broadhead and a mid weight arrow (400gr) will definitely do the trick. Using a lesser quality mechanical is about the only way you’ll have any issues with pass through. That and making a bad shot. If what you’ve been using has been working I’d keep using it.

For my money I'd buy straight as I can, .001's. Arrow brand and other things are personal experience related. I like a standard .244-246 ID shaft that's straight and reasonably durable.