Finally got the CO OTC Elk - how the hunt went

OP
Gerbdog

Gerbdog

WKR
Awesome story! Congratulations on your cow!
The hoochie mama thing was hilarious
I had been telling my brother for the last 2 months... "hey, go watch some of the slow play strategy videos by elknut, they're really good and we should use some of those strategies!"

So every time he told me, "nah, all we need is the hoochie mama" i just laughed at him cause I thought he was yanking my chain....

Turns out he was 100% truthful in what he said. Rare enough to find in a person I suppose. I was pretty ticked off that morning to find out though all he brought was the hoochie momma and watched none of the videos i pestered him about. Ah well, .... i think i let him use it while we were up there maybe twice though

marktole

WKR
Great story and congratulations, you are still on the steep part of the learning curve. It is still pretty early in the season to expect bulls to be very responsive to calling. Factor that in.

I will second this. I killed a cow in a CO OTC unit just a day or two after you did. I barely heard any bugles and had almost no response to calling the whole 8 days I was hunting. Had the opportunity to shoot the cow on day 5, and like you, realized holding out for a bull wasn't looking great. So took what I could get, and I don’t regret it one bit. It was a tough first week of season in CO with the hot daytime temps and a full moon.