Finally. Solo success on 5th trip to Colorado

OP
Newtosavage
Way to go man, nice job! Solitude, what’s that
Yea, harder to find in the mountains of CO than I ever would have imagined. On the one hand, it's encouraging to see so many people interested in hunting. On the other hand, we're like an hour's drive from the nearest gas station and do you really have to have 4 camps on this 300 yard stretch of road? LOL It's crazy.

My goal for next year is more nights away from the vehicle, with camp on my back. That's what the world is coming to. LOL

OP
Newtosavage
Nice buck and cool pics! That's some good looking mule deer country for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks. I already got "reminded" that posting pics with mountains in the background can lead to folks figuring out "my spot" but I don't care. I wanted everyone to get an idea of the experience and the type of country I had success in this time of year. Besides, it's public land and there were already tons of hunters in that area (I watched no fewer than 10 guys go in ahead of me, in the dark) so it's not like it's a secret area. LOL In fact, I killed that buck within a mile of three well established camps so it was really just a matter of who got him first (if they had deer tags). I happened to be the lucky one, this time.

Last week, I saw legal bucks from 6400 feet to nearly 10K feet. Lots of country out there to enjoy!

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats, sounds like years of hard work and helping others were repaid with a great hunt! Really enjoyed your write-up.

OP
Newtosavage
Congrats, sounds like years of hard work and helping others were repaid with a great hunt! Really enjoyed your write-up.
Thank you. I am not a selfish person by nature when it comes to hunting or fishing. I think both activities are better with good friends and family. However sometimes you gotta just take matters into your own hands and get the job done without distractions. LOL It was a very satisfying week for sure and one I will not soon forget. The whole drive home I thought about whether it would have meant more to me to have a good friend or my son along with me on the hunt. I decided "nope" - the rare opportunity to just focus on my own hunting was exactly what I needed after years of helping others. Maybe next year I'll hunt with my son or a friend, but I'll make that decision next year.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Great job and great story! I have a similar story with elk. Called one in for my buddy after a few years of trying. Then the next year when he backed out due to health issues, I made a decision to go on my own. Shot a rag horn with my bow and had a complete blast doing it! The experience makes the trip - filling your tag is just icing on the cake!

OP
Newtosavage
Great job and great story! I have a similar story with elk. Called one in for my buddy after a few years of trying. Then the next year when he backed out due to health issues, I made a decision to go on my own. Shot a rag horn with my bow and had a complete blast doing it! The experience makes the trip - filling your tag is just icing on the cake!
Agreed.

My buddy I took last year (who shot his bull on opening day) went with his brother this year to the same spots we hunted last year. It was his brother's first time elk hunting. They didn't get anything but had a great time. I was very happy for both of them that the experience my buddy gained last year gave them the confidence to go by themselves. Sometimes you just gotta get started and then after that it's a lot easier. I had someone help me get started, so I was happy to pass along the help.

I have to say that the week of scouting by myself might be my favorite week every year. Just me, my truck, my glass and my pack and hundreds of thousands of acres to explore. What a blast.