Find me a pair of pants!

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Hey everybody! I am in the market for a pair of pants to use for later season hunting. I have been using Sitka Mountain pants from August to January and they aren't quite suited to the end of the season (winds >15 mph and temps <20 degrees Fahrenheit). I sweat fairly easily, but understand how to layer well and own most all other layers besides puffy pants. I have searched around, and haven't come up with the perfect pair yet.

What I am looking for:
Wind resistant or proof
Side Zips
Relatively quiet
Stretch material
Solid Color (preferably some shade of brown)
Knee Pads (preferred but not needed)

What would you recommend?

Stone Glacier De Havilland. That’s what I’m switching too. Have Timberlines, but feel they are a tad too baggy for me. I only need a thin base layer, so these seem like they’ll fit the bill. I just need an early season pant now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Skyhigh

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Stone Glacier De Havilland. That’s what I’m switching too. Have Timberlines, but feel they are a tad too baggy for me. I only need a thin base layer, so these seem like they’ll fit the bill. I just need an early season pant now.

Have you had the chance to use them or see them in person? They definitely sound like they could fit into what I am looking for!

I’ve seen them in person at Ross Outdoors in Phoenix. The look pretty stout, that’s when I realized I’d need an early season pant as well. Unfortunately it’s not my size, so I couldn’t try it in. The legs definitely look more athletic than my baggier Timberlines.

bcar

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Kuiu Pro or Talus pants if you want knee pads. Your options are pretty limited for hip zip pants. Kuiu, Stone Glacier, and Eberlestock are about the only companies with hip zips. There's another company with some kind of inner thigh zip, but I don't think people cared for them overall.

OP
Skyhigh

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Kuiu Pro or Talus pants if you want knee pads. Your options are pretty limited for hip zip pants. Kuiu, Stone Glacier, and Eberlestock are about the only companies with hip zips. There's another company with some kind of inner thigh zip, but I don't think people cared for them overall.
I'll take a look at the kuiu offerings. I wish more companies offered the hip zips. Seem useful if you have a warmer pair of pants in cold weather to prevent sweating while moving!

thebest3

Lil-Rokslider
Another option is outdoor research Men's Trailbreaker II Pants .
It has waterproof knee and lower leg. and side vent. I wore one last year and was pretty impress.

Attachments

• d312d5fb-f124-442a-b35f-b8d0906e4a3b.jpg
    d312d5fb-f124-442a-b35f-b8d0906e4a3b.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 13
I picked up the Kuiu Pro and Talus for my grizzly/sheep hunt in AK. I waited to the last minute to pack the pair I was going to take. I wound up taking the Pros based upon the latest weather forecast. The Talus are better suited to colder/wetter weather.

Depending on your body size, you may want to look at the Sitka Timberline. They have similar features as the Talus.

Another consideration is to grab the Kuiu zip-off bottoms. Easy to put on when you stop to glass and easy to take off when it is time to move. Great way to extend the temperature range of your current pants.

I would bet that the other company you reference is core4element/sylo both of which are out of business I believe.

I have a pair of the sylo heavyweight softshells with the inner thigh zip vent. They're very comfortable and quiet. The dwr is lacking though. I mostly wear them for late season elk or goose hunting. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if a guy found a pair for sale.

Smokeslider

Lil-Rokslider
How married are you to camo? I picked up a pair of Prana Stretch Zion pants and they are by far more comfortable than any Hunting pant I've worn, including sitka and First Lite. I plan on using them for Deer and see how it goes. I know a number of folks have used them for hunting in the past and they came highly recommended.

bsnedeker

WKR
I honestly think the Sitka Mtn. Pants are the perfect pants for late season. I wear them from late Oct to April. I just throw a pair of long johns underneath when the temp gets down to about 32 degrees. I have a pair of the SG puffy pants I wear on top of those for when I'm sitting still and a pair of super lightweight rain pants I throw on top of those if its really windy.

BenHankins

Lil-Rokslider
I really love the Sitka Timberline pant. They are perfect for fall hunting in cooler climates. As far as a warm season pant the Eddie Bower pro pant knockoff that they sell in their outlet stores work awesome. I think you can pick them up on sale for like $40. I really can’t tell a difference in the EB and the prana. Please know that the prana and EB does not cut the wind at all and I don’t consider them to be a fall pant. They’d be perfect for early archery though.