Finding a guided WY cow elk hunt without a tag in hand?

I'll try to spare you guys from the long and drawn out version of the story, but I was originally planning on doing my first elk hunt (cow elk) in 2022. The plan was to do a guided cow elk hunt for my first elk hunt to learn the ropes, and then go DIY after that. This is because my hunting experience is very limited and I will be rolling solo.

I was planning on hunting axis deer in Texas this year as a bit of a hunting warm up, but due to the winter weather, enough axis died off and my hunt got cancelled. In a quick pivot, I made contact with a well respected WY outfitter who agreed to submit a 2021 leftover cow tag application on my behalf - only to just find out that he didn't submit it. So now, I'm without a WY cow elk tag.

Having said all of that, I'm looking for tips on how to get a 2021 cow elk hunt booked in WY (my preferred state to start hunting) without currently having a tag in my pocket. A few questions:

1. Should I simply narrow it down to areas that have surplus tags available after the leftover draw (assuming there are any available) and then try to find outfitters in those areas who can accommodate an OTC cow elk tag?

2. Are OTC cow elk tags available for purchase by non-residents?

3. If OTC tags are available for purchase by non-residents, can they be purchased online well in advance of a fall/winter trip?

4. Might I be better suited under the circumstances to find a guided cow elk hunt for this year in another state like NM or CO, where getting a cow elk OTC/guaranteed tag might be easier?

Appreciate the assistance. I have definitely researched this to death, but I also want to make sure that I have a firm understanding of the possibilities before plotting my next move.

wyosteve

WKR
First, you need to go to the Wyoming Game and Fish website and see if there are any tags leftover at this point. If so, I'd try to line up an outfitter in the area before spending the money on a tag so you know exactly what the costs are and when you might get to hunt since if may not fit into your schedule.

wyosteve

WKR
Forgot to mention. The Wyoming Outfitter and Guides Association website should have a list of outfitters who are authorized to outfit/guide in a unit you select.

Just get a leftover cow/calf tag and go hunt and learn. Did it the last 2 years and filled tags both years. Just go hunt, you not gonna learn anything about elk or hunting them sitting on the couch.