Finding a load-next step

rclouse79

WKR
I went out this morning and shot 420 gr No Excuses bullets through my CVA optima with a wad and 90 grains of 777. I took six shots at 13 yards to adjust my sights. I swabbed the barrel with a damp patch after each shot. I felt solid shooting off a bipod with a bag under the butt of the gun. My first two shots at 100 yards were almost touching each other and were an inch to the right of the bulls eye. I was about to do a back flip and head home, but decided to shoot another. It was about a foot low. The next four shots made about a 7 inch group 12 to 7 inches below the bulls eye. Now I am wondering if I just got lucky on my first two shots? I double checked my gun to make sure everything was tight and hadn't moved. I am wondering if I should clean the gun completely and try this load again to see if it is accurate before fouling increases. Should I stick with these bullets again and adjust the amount of powder? I am tempted to buy the lead powerbelts (Idaho regulations) because that is the brand CVA recommends, but I have read a lot of negative comments about terminal performance on elk. I am new to the muzzleloader game and would appreciate any advice from those with experience.

Did you use the sizing pack to find the right diameter for the No Excuses bullets?

Are you getting adequate seating pressure down the barrel and against the powder?

I assume you mean that you checked the scope and it didn't move and was mounted correctly?

IdahoHntr

WKR
From your other thread, I'm guessing you are shooting the Williams style open peep sight? How much practice have you had with this type of sight? How much practice do you have with open sights in general?

While 100 yards might not seem far, with open sights on a muzzleloader it takes a bit of practice to consistently produce good groups. It took me a few range sessions to be able to consistently shoot a peep accurately on my muzzleloader, so it might just take some time to dial it in for you.

The biggest help when you're trying a new load is to put a scope on the gun just for the load development. Once you know the load you are shooting is accurate, then you can dial in your open sights knowing that any inconsistency is you and not the gun and load. Putting new sights on a gun and trying a new load at the same time can really have you pulling your hair out. I know from personal experience!

I would find a scope to throw on it and test different powder charges out. For my Traditions I found the most accuracy shooting the 420 gr No Excuses with a veg fiber wad on top of 90 gr of Pyrodex Select, but it took a lot of range time to settle on that load.

Before you chase your tail to hard.
The only way to disprove or not is to clean it and try the same load again before you switch anything else. Otherwise you'll never know.
I don't swab every shot. But on shot 3 I start to see drift.
Even cleaning every 3rd shot buy round 9 it is noticeable harder to load.

OP
rclouse79

rclouse79

WKR
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. One problem might have been the screw for the front globe was slightly long and it bottomed out. After putting lock tight on it felt like I couldn't move it, but it might have had some wiggle after shooting. I made a washer out of some thin wire and was able to suck it down tight after that. I like the idea of putting a scope on there a lot and am going to try that out. I am going to play around with different amounts of powder as well before jumping ship on the No Excuses bullets. I did like the Williams globe sight a lot, but could use some more practice for sure. Shooting the muzzleloader is fun. It was a lot more fun after my first two shots when I thought I was money before everything fell apart!