Finding Bucks

cjdewese

WKR
Hey Guys, I am new to hunting this year, hunting southern California and did a ton of scouting early in the pre-season and was able to pattern the deer in my area pretty well and was lucky enough to fill my 1st tag on opening day. Then the forests shut down for almost a month and I have been having a hard time finding the bucks since.

I consistently see does but haven't found the bucks yet. I think I jumped one out of a bed walking through a new area trying to find them but wasn't able to see it. With only a few weeks left in the season in Southern California where would you guys check or do you think I should just keep following the does around waiting for the bucks to show up?

Any help would be appreciated or if you can even point me somewhere I can learn about this I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to hunting southern Ca. Not knowing the general area you are hunting limits my ability to provide specific information. But right now, in many places in southern Ca, the acorns are dropping. If that is the case in your hunt area, then acorns will be the primary food source. Get yourself in a good glassing place, and just sit there glassing, keeping your movements to a minimum.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
Thanks, we are definitely loaded with accorns and that's where I've been seeing the does just no bucks yet. I'll just expand some from where I am seeing the does and see if I can find a pocket of em.

The rut in southern Ca, from my experience varies on it's timing. Generally, if I hunt the whole season, I see some rutting behavior, but not always. So, the bucks my not be hanging with the does, in your hunt location. But I almost always find a couple young immature but legal bucks hanging with does. I almost never see mature bucks with does, unless there is rutting behavior. So generally, I do not see mature bucks in So Cal hanging with does.

OP
C

cjdewese

WKR
Cool thank you for the reply. I'll expand my area a bit then. I have a few ideas I just need to check them out.