Finding does but no bucks

280Ackley

WKR
So I got the regular tag instead of the whitetail tag this year. Got Covid and couldn’t hunt the early season so now I am down to this weekend to get a mule deer. Last time I went out and I found a total of 15 does but not a single buck. I am hunting in northern Idaho. Most of these does were in more open country. Should I hit some of timber patches to find the bucks or just keep glassing?

WCB

WKR
I'd hunt "around" the does. Patches of cover adjacent to the does would be my bet. Also keep checking back with the does as the Muley bucks should also be checking on them...maybe not hang out with them but maybe move back and forth from cover or another doe group.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
One area I hunt in bc always had does but no bucks in November. The area was quite pressures. I spoke with some older locals and the bio. Turned out the bucks would come down from the high country at night and breed does, then head back up and hide and rest for the day. The bio showed me a picture of a 200ish buck standing belly deep in snow. I ended up killing a buck one year by catching him on a travel route at first light.

I'm glad I'm not the only one, that was my mule deer experience this year. Does, and moo cows, and sheep...

Firestone

WKR
How difficult is it to access these pockets of does? If it takes some effort then there should be a buck around this time of the year. If every swinging dick can get there then I would look else where

I’d look for some burns and check back in on the does but for me burns are money!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk