Finding late season cows

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Drew a leftover WY late season cow tag. Sorry if this has been discussed before but I didn't see a relevant thread specifically about it. Just wanting to see if I'm on the right track. I am assuming that most of the cows will have moved down in elevation this time of the year, and will be mostly focused on food. Assuming there is already some snow, water won't really be a concern. What are the best things to look for to locate cows this time of year other than what I've mentioned. Thanks in advance!

Justinc68

FNG
What would you call decent elevation? Just curious? As a guy from Pennsylvania. Anything over 2000 feet is high! Haha.
Area I'm hunting has anything from 5000 to 10,000 feet. Just wondering where I should foucs.

Thanks!

Justin

Lots of variables. Mainly weather and elevation. What time of year are you hunting? And what part of the state? Any private land around? Generally speaking I don’t see cows thinking about dropping down until gun season is over. I have some friends out there and they don’t use their cow tags until December when a late hunt takes place in 84. Even then it’s weather dependent.

wytx

WKR
With good snow they will be moving down to winter range in Nov.
You may find them out on the sage flats or up in mountains, depends on snow for late season hunts.

Justinc68

FNG
I'm hunting unit 87 in middle of October. Looking at on x it looks like alot of public land. With private and in the low elevation areas.

OP
I

INgunner54

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies thus far, much appreciated! We will be out the first week of November. It's unit 93, so there is definitely private mixed in down lower.

Definitely keep an eye on snow levels, In my experience they come down when the snow gets 2-3 feet deep where they are, so they start to move down. but they usually only come down far enough to where they can get feed or kick the snow off of it. If you are in a remote enough area, they may come right down into the sage flats as mentioned above, should be easier to find them if they do. eZy Watermark_01-02-2019_18-59-42.JPG