Finding less pressure on Public Land

Titan_Bow

WKR
Colorado and Western Nebraska were both the most crowded I have ever seen. My high country opening weekend spot is in a designated wilderness, and I expect to see a lot of people there, but there were 30 trucks at the trail head for the archery opener. I'd say 5 or 6 years ago, that number might would have been 10 or so. Every year it just seems there are more and more people hunting out west, I am hoping the vaccine works out, if things return to some sense of normalcy, maybe there will be less people traveling out to hunt next year? A guy can hope :p

Bowman276

FNG
What county? And what season?
Bath, and rifle season. Saturday before Thanksgiving was really busy. Now granted not like it was 30 years ago (from what I have been told) but several camps this year. Seems like everyone decided to get right on top of me. Early bear was really thin this year.

Last edited:

aham

FNG
I hunt West Virginia and Ohio and in wv the first 3 days or so of gun season is crazy but during bow season I might see a couple if its a really nice day on the weekend. Ohio is a different story though as soon as november hits and seems like every parking lot has a few trucks.

SMOKYMTN

WKR
I see less hunters on public land in the mountains of NC than I did 2 decades ago. Doesn't matter the season. I think TV is partially to blame. The glamorization of western and midwestern hunting has sent a lot of guys to those areas, but the mountains of NC I'd claim is one of the toughest regions, if not the toughest in the country. A lot of guys come here after watching TV hunting and between the relative low deer density, the vastness of public land, the terrain and density of an Southern Appalachian forest, they have little success and give it up rather quickly.

Simply put, for a new hunter, this area just sucks to try and learn to hunt. We're the highest mountains east of the Rockies, yet given the latitude, our weather still very much influenced by the Gulf of Mexico. In the early season it's always wet and it's always hot and it's always muggy. So for example, think about the early season trying to climb to 3000'+, in 80 degree weather with 90% humidity, through a jungle so thick it would make the Vietcong think twice, for little to no success, and it's understandable why we're seeing lower hunter numbers as the old timers phase out, and a generation who's used to getting their food from a drive thru or a microwave, phases in. Most hunters have been influenced by a glamorized hunting culture on TV or social media, and they want instant success, and this area just doesn't provide it.

I am not complaining though. This is all I've ever known and learned, and it makes for good hunting for me and my kids.

OP
540-Virginian
I see less hunters on public land in the mountains of NC than I did 2 decades ago. Doesn't matter the season. I think TV is partially to blame. The glamorization of western and midwestern hunting has sent a lot of guys to those areas, but the mountains of NC I'd claim is one of the toughest regions, if not the toughest in the country. A lot of guys come here after watching TV hunting and between the relative low deer density, the vastness of public land, the terrain and density of an Southern Appalachian forest, they have little success and give it up rather quickly.

Simply put, for a new hunter, this area just sucks to try and learn to hunt. We're the highest mountains east of the Rockies, yet given the latitude, our weather still very much influenced by the Gulf of Mexico. In the early season it's always wet and it's always hot and it's always muggy. So for example, think about the early season trying to climb to 3000'+, in 80 degree weather with 90% humidity, through a jungle so thick it would make the Vietcong think twice, for little to no success, and it's understandable why we're seeing lower hunter numbers as the old timers phase out, and a generation who's used to getting their food from a drive thru or a microwave, phases in. Most hunters have been influenced by a glamorized hunting culture on TV or social media, and they want instant success, and this area just doesn't provide it.

I am not complaining though. This is all I've ever known and learned, and it makes for good hunting for me and my kids.

I hunt similar terrain in the National Forest here and agree it’s not an ideal place to start of new to the sport.

I just find I have to scout more / harder but the deer are pretty easy to find once you figure it all out.

RMBHS

FNG
Wisconsin public has hand lots of pressure by me, bit when I lived in Nebraska I had acres to myself during bow season.

It's hit or miss where I hunt in PA. If I start to notice more pressure (before, during or post season) I just move to another area. I always try to have at least 4 areas scouted for that reason. It also helps me keep my pressure to a minimum by bouncing around.