Finding Mule Deer

Have a few questions regarding find mule deer in Colorado. I am going on my first mule deer hunt (drew a decent tag) in early November, have a couple days during the weekend before season to scout. I am prepared to backpack into a mountain range or hunt more mobile. I want to shoot a mature deer, I do not care about score etc. I was wondering what guys are doing during that time of year due to weather conditions to find deer and what the deer typically do during that time of year (like pre rut activity etc)? I’ve done some research but would like to hear from other people and their personal experiences. Thank for any advice given!

Jimss

WKR
Things change dramatically from 1 unit to the next. A lot depends upon the weather, terrain, elevation, and topography of the unit you drew. Snow and cold can change things dramatically. In most regions in Colo young bucks tend to start showing up with does for rut earlier than mature bucks. Mature bucks may be nocternal with does. Some units may have few deer until snow drives them down into winter ranges....this may or may not happen in any given year. It may be a challenge camping out in deep snow and cold if it's your first trip and you don't have experience with logistics and gear. I myself usually truck camp. I've always felt it's best to stay mobile and not tied to a backpack situation unless you have a particular buck lined out or you know are already aware of a honey hole.

Access may be an issue depending on snow and your equipment.
The video Jordan did of Robbys late colo hunt would be good to check out. They used a tracked side x side and horses to facilitate success.

Marble

WKR
The things that will affect the hunting during that time of year is hunting pressure, weather and the rut.

Do some searching on this forum and you will see plenty of threads talking about this.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Werty

WKR
Not Colorado, but the 3 biggest bucks I saw last year where in the top 1/3 of the mountain. I saw some decent bucks in the middle third. This was in Montana in November. I saw does daily. I personally go high

Wags

WKR
To piggy back in the access issue point, If you find an area with limited roads or that you can only access by foot you may want to give that a good look. Most guys dont venture far from roads and you'd be surprised the deer you see the further you get away, especially with elevation change... the steeper it is, the less likely you'll see many people past the first few days.

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
if your hunting in november, find the does and watch them all day. hope that a big boy makes a mistake. glass glass and then glass