Finding Spots

CAB

FNG
Just wanted to see what other do to find "their spots". Not looking for locations or anything like that at all but more or less elements you look for. Personally I learned a lesson this weekend scouting a new spot here in N CO. Stay the hell away from 14 and any marked hiking trails. I couldn't believe the amount of people I saw, clearly areas people camp and just general feeling of "this place is no secret" I got. I generally look for dead ends off of forest service roads and areas that normal hikers would have no interest in since there isn't a marked hiking trail or mountain to summit. For the first time I now am looking for areas that would allow for glassing which is new for me and fun. South facing slopes have also become a target for me as that should produce good feed. I have also been somewhat curious about the idea of finding areas where you can only access them if you cross a body of water to get there. I've been trying to find elements to reduce the likely hood of having company in the area I'm hunting. Thank god for onxmaps, I'm seriously addicted to it.

Usually distance + topography is the key in any hunting situation getting away from people. For me it’s the use of Pack Goats!
Matt

Reactions: CAB
Your on the right track. I'd suggest developing s system to keep track of the areas you are thinking about.

brimow

Lil-Rokslider
CAB - Anywhere within a couple hours of FTC is a nightmare. Recreation users still far out number hunters but they take up a lot of space. I have been hunting this area for over 20 years and it just gets harder and harder to get away from the masses. It can be done and some of those areas are not that far off the beaten path (14) but you have to find spots with some form of significant barrier to entry. Steep climb up or down from the road (not a designated parking area either), river crossing, private land edges, etc.. Also look for those areas that don't offer much else except a challenging hike (no trail, no destination such as lakes, vistas, etc.) There are much fewer people out there that will venture up the mountain without a trail to follow.

A couple years ago I was pretty deep off trail in a wilderness area only to have a whole family of NR hikers blow through a meadow because they had seen the glaciers from the highway and wanted to take a picture in the snow! They were from the SE and had never seen snow in August. They were a good 1.5 miles off the highway and had left the only trail in the area well behind. Empty water bottles and the kids were in plain old sneakers. I was a little blown away but they were on a mission. I gave them the extra water I had and wished them well.

dtrkyman

WKR
I find rugged terrain the best, distance means little if there are trails or easy hiking. If I look at it and think I ain't going up that, I am probably going!

WCB

WKR
Obvious spots are rugged terrain and even more so rugged terrain far from trails or roads....those places are no secret anymore. Realistically the distance thing is no longer a thing because everybody is a super "sheep shape" fit hunter guy and even if you find yourself camped alone about mid day some yahoo will come strolling through running everything out of the country.

I personally hunt stuff other people won't because it mostly looks like a barren waste land. I have found very good hunting and mature animals in some of the most boring nothing looking country around. And, I don't mean looks boring but actually has a lot of terrain to it....I mean just plain boring. Just have to scout little and have confidence.

OP
CAB

CAB

FNG
CAB - Anywhere within a couple hours of FTC is a nightmare. Recreation users still far out number hunters but they take up a lot of space. I have been hunting this area for over 20 years and it just gets harder and harder to get away from the masses. It can be done and some of those areas are not that far off the beaten path (14) but you have to find spots with some form of significant barrier to entry. Steep climb up or down from the road (not a designated parking area either), river crossing, private land edges, etc.. Also look for those areas that don't offer much else except a challenging hike (no trail, no destination such as lakes, vistas, etc.) There are much fewer people out there that will venture up the mountain without a trail to follow.

A couple years ago I was pretty deep off trail in a wilderness area only to have a whole family of NR hikers blow through a meadow because they had seen the glaciers from the highway and wanted to take a picture in the snow! They were from the SE and had never seen snow in August. They were a good 1.5 miles off the highway and had left the only trail in the area well behind. Empty water bottles and the kids were in plain old sneakers. I was a little blown away but they were on a mission. I gave them the extra water I had and wished them well.
Seriously I was shocked at what I saw on Sunday. I'm off 14 on a dirt road and then hit some jeep trails and I start thinking "finally this is going to keep none hunters out of here, they can't drive in here." I get about a mile from where I want to be, I'm on the side of a mountain and I'm trying to judge if I want to drive over this snow/ice heap in the road when I see something off to my right.......it's a random guy walking around in the burn. I back out and go to another spot and I hike in find some nice glassing area and then I hear 2 guys on bikes going by with their dogs. So now I'm just defeated and I get back to the truck to leave and here comes so hipster with jeans on just strolling down the jeep trail. I've never seen so many people in such a random location. I'm assuming come hunting season hikers will still be in the woods so now I'm looking for the most unfriendly hiking areas possible.

Rich M

WKR
There are people everywhere. Save your mind now, you will not get away from people, you will have to hunt better than they do.

Used to be able to out walk folks, out ride em, whatever. Now it's cool to talk about a 15 mile hike in so everyone goes into the middle of the units from all sides.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look for places people don’t like and big critters do.....this means steep no water access and rugged country....lessor known units with lower populations will gain you space and you may not see very many two legged animals🤙 Been in here many times and taken a few good ones never seen a person....when you find them you know why your alone😂

Attachments

• 5B20B2ED-1DB3-4AA4-A59B-D4384E67231F.jpeg
    5B20B2ED-1DB3-4AA4-A59B-D4384E67231F.jpeg
    441.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 171E8C62-6D91-44BA-8E5C-CC7A3A184483.jpeg
    171E8C62-6D91-44BA-8E5C-CC7A3A184483.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 45
  • 0EA618B5-92CD-4D24-BC6F-B61AB3D41285.jpeg
    0EA618B5-92CD-4D24-BC6F-B61AB3D41285.jpeg
    265.5 KB · Views: 45