Finding the right load (tikka t3 superlite)

MtnBum

Lil-Rokslider
I have a tikka t3 superlite, 300WM with a 1.11 twist. I CAN NOT FIND a factory bullet that shoots sub moa that can also reach out to 500/700 yard ranges accurately! I plan on hunting out to those ranges and the catch is I’m limited to factory amo only, so please don’t suggest hands loads being I don’t have that option yet. Do any guys here with personal experience with my rifle model, have suggestions on a factory bullet that can give me this result out of my rifle ?
People say 1.11 shoots 200 great some say they don’t, some say 180s are best, some some they are to small in grain. I’m torn here guys!
I’ve been looking at buying the hornady 200 grain eldx, or the hsm 185 grain vld’s. This 1.11 twist is really kicking my. I should have gotten a 1.10 :(

HiMtnHntr

WKR
The twist is not your problem. Nothing wrong with a 1:11 in a 300 wm. You might try some Barnes lrx in 190 gn.

elkguide

WKR
Every rifle has it's likes and dislikes. Lightweight rifles are also different to shoot than a heavier rifle is. I have a .300 WM that shoots Berger VLD's in 1/2" groups but will only get 1 1/2" groups with Barnes TSX. You'll just have to try different bullets and see what it likes. To me, that is part of the joy of a new rifle.

I have a sako finnlight in 300 win mag. Same twist as yours. Have two loads. I find Barnes are uber accurate in almost all my rifles.

200 gain nosler accubond
B/C of 0.588 (g1) or 0.273 (g7)
77.5 grain of H1000
2852 FPS in my Sako
This groups 3/4 MOA.
Killed an elk at about 250 last year with this load. It’s a hammer and while not as accurate as the Barnes load is more oomph for down range and why I switched to it. Ought to get you to 750 legitimately.

Or

300 Win Mag
H1000 (77.5)
180 grain TSX BT
Trim to 2.61 (Max 2.62)
COAL 3.34 max
B/C of 180 TSX - 0.453
B/C of 180 TTSX - 0.484
2918 FPS in Sako.
This groups 5/8 MOA.
I have killed an elk at 605 yards with this load. First shot was double lung pass through. Second shot was shoulder and rolled him. Bullet expanded like advertised about 40% back down the shank. Top of the shroom is where the top band is. PM me and I’ll text you a photo of the bullet I recovered.

We’ll guess you only want factory loads. Try the various Barnes loads. Unfortunately federal quit carrying them.

cooperjd

WKR
a quick search on midwayusa and they have 78 factory options for the 300win. just have to figure out what your gun likes, in a bullet construction/weight you want. There are also companies out there that will hand load for you; but that may take quite a bit of tinkering. My friend with his new tikka in '06 really liked the barnes vortx ammo in a couple of different weights. my old '06 absolutely loved 150gr core-lokts, which i hate, and i am struggling to find a handload it likes. they can be picky or they can love everything.

ckleeves

WKR
This is JMO, but your asking a lot of factory ammo to be really accurate at 700 yards. 500 is certainly doable but 700 is a stretch.

The ES of factory ammo generally isn’t that great. A few weeks ago with a friends 6.5 with factory ammo over the Lab radar I saw over a 100 FPS swing. It was all pretty close except for 3 rounds in the box. So if you had the fastest and slowest round in the box in the same group that’s over 11” of vertical at 700 yards.

I’m not saying it’s impossible, You could luck out and stumble into a great shooting factory load at long range but it might take a lot of rounds to do so.

The ABM stuff, if you can find it, was very accurate in some rifles but I don’t think it will fit in a Tikka magazine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a sako a7 in 300 win with the same 1/11 twist rate and the Barnes vortx 180gr ttsx shot best for me. The hornady eldx 200gr wasn’t quit as consistent. Hope this helps.

The ABM stuff, if you can find it, was very accurate in some rifles but I don’t think it will fit in a Tikka magazine.

This would be my first stop. ABM is no more and is now Berger munitions. I’ve only shot the 215 g 300 WM and velocities and accuracy was impressive, it was better than the hand loads I’d tried to date in that rifle. The 215 loads won’t work in the tikka but give the 185 classic hunter loads a try, they are loaded to 3.34” COAL.

ID_Matt

WKR
Cousin has one that will shoot 180 Hornady superformance and 200 gr precision hunters (Eld-x) at 1/2 moa or better. Both rounds shoot unreal. He really lucked out with that gun.

I have one and also have struggled to find a load it shoots well. So far the eldx 200 grainers and the federal trophy copper 180s shoot the best.

Kilo184

FNG
I have the same rifle and hand load Nosler 200grain Accubond that group great and killed 2 elk last year at 450 and 280 yards.
Since you don’t reload, you could look at Nosler Custom in 200 grain Accubond. They are very expensive but they are hand loaded by Nosler. I’ve had my loads group better than Hornady and Barnes in 3 totally different rifles.

Good luck, I had the same frustrations in the beginning.