Fine tuning kuiu layers

snowplow

WKR
I have been running a Peloton 240 hoody over a thin base layer synthetic for the last couple years. It's mostly great but l get s little hot at times when moving.

I picked up a Peloton 97 non hooded. And am thinking of a Peloton 240 vest over it.

Do you think that would roughly equal the 240 together while adding flexibility?

Is there a better combo?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
My thinking was the 240 vest and t shirt might be cooler than the 97 alone. All speculation though.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Do you think the peloton 97 + 240 vest would be warmer or colder than the 240 hoody alone?

wade0731

FNG
I run hot as well. A vest might do well. I sweat alot in the armpits so a vest helps me breathe.

PredatorX

WKR
Man I recently did a lot of fine tuning with a kuiu layering kit. I really really wanted to fit the 240 in my system but in the end it just didn't have a place. The 97 is my center piece and I really love it. Part of it is what do you want to carry around and what season you are using it for. For me I went with the following:

1. FL aerowool base
2. Peloton 97 hooded..sometimes went #1. Worn over merino it is a heater when hiking but very self regulating.
3. Kuiu Axis.

The Axis also serves as my rain jacket which also blocks the wind very well. It turned the 240 into a one trick pony. When colder I put a kenai under the Axis. This setup does all I can ask of it. Sure the Axis might be a few ounces heavier but it seems to do a bit more than the 240. Start with a 97 and build around that. That pice will cover a wide temp range.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

OeauxMy

FNG
The peloton is such a great piece. The 97 w a 240 vest shounds like a really good idea

j33

WKR
Last night I was wishing I had a 240 vest instead of my 240 hood less. Was out Elk hunting and wanted something in between temps.

The 97 is awesome but I almost want something somewhat more snag resistant sometimes so might try a thin strong fleece too.

OP
S

snowplow

WKR
Awesome thanks! Yes the 240 over my FL aerowool seems just a bit too hot or a bit too cold often. I'm excited to try the vest over 97.

j33

WKR
Awesome thanks! Yes the 240 over my FL aerowool seems just a bit too hot or a bit too cold often. I'm excited to try the vest over 97.

Curious how you made out with the vest? I might pick up a vest at the next sale. Picked up a Kutana Hybrid at the Black Friday sale, be interesting to try it out. Tested it around the house, fits good shooting the bow.

The 97 snags on everything like my wife's nylons. I bought one new at the showroom, took it home and put it on, and it already had a run in the fabric on the chest. It also fits pretty snug. I returned it. The 240 is MUCH more durable and super breathable. Currently running synthetic Peloton 118 top, 240 mid, and Kutana outer.

68Plexi

WKR
Curious how you made out with the vest? I might pick up a vest at the next sale. Picked up a Kutana Hybrid at the Black Friday sale, be interesting to try it out. Tested it around the house, fits good shooting the bow.

I’ve been working on my KUIU/Firstlite layering system for a few years now and quite some $$ later. Everyone’s environment and body type make these comparisons difficult so YMMV, but I really do like the 240 vest. I had a thicker Kryptek vest that just didn’t breathe very well which was ok stationary but not hiking.

The 240 is thin, but I think the athletic fit helps. It allows me to wear it over a thin base layer (145) for warm/cool hunts or over a thicker (chama 230) for colder hunts. Then I can layer whatever fits the situation and temps over that combo (strong fleece and/or puffy or Kenai and/or rain gear). Keeps me warm enough, but also dries quick if I’m hiking. Also limits the layers on my arms which I like, especially since the athletic sleeve fit on many KUIU pieces doesn’t leave much room for layering.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: j33

j33

WKR
I’ve been working on my KUIU/Firstlite layering system for a few years now and quite some $$ later. Everyone’s environment and body type make these comparisons difficult so YMMV, but I really do like the 240 vest. I had a thicker Kryptek vest that just didn’t breathe very well which was ok stationary but not hiking.

The 240 is thin, but I think the athletic fit helps. It allows me to wear it over a thin base layer (145) for warm/cool hunts or over a thicker (chama 230) for colder hunts. Then I can layer whatever fits the situation and temps over that combo (strong fleece and/or puffy or Kenai and/or rain gear). Keeps me warm enough, but also dries quick if I’m hiking. Also limits the layers on my arms which I like, especially since the athletic sleeve fit on many KUIU pieces doesn’t leave much room for layering.

Hope that helps!

Thanks! Yeah I’ve got a 240 jacket and I find it a bit too warm so I’ll think I’ll try a vest this season.

snel6424

FNG
Do you guys consider the 240 more of a mid layer or more of an outer layer? Trying to figure out if I want the Strongfleece 260 or the Peleton 240. gonna use a Kenai Ultra as insulation layer

240 is an active mid layer by fit and design. The sleeves are a bit snug so don't expect to wear much under it other than a base layer. It's wind resistant but not wind proof. I wouldn't want to be stuck wearing it in the rain but it holds off some drizzle ok. It breathes excellent, meaning you won't get swampy from a little sweat. In winter I hike with a synthetic Peloton 118 top plus the 240 full zip hoodie and I stay comfy down to 40 degrees while moving, about as cold as it gets locally. Would be fine as an "outer" layer in cool dry fall weather.

j33

WKR
Do you guys consider the 240 more of a mid layer or more of an outer layer? Trying to figure out if I want the Strongfleece 260 or the Peleton 240. gonna use a Kenai Ultra as insulation layer

260 is gonna be warmer and less breathable than the 240, it’s more of a mid layer in cold conditions and outerlayer on warm.

68Plexi

WKR

I went through the same decision. After I got rid of my guide soft shell I wanted something like the 240 or 280 as a mid layer that could double as an outer layer in milder temps.

I ended up with a 240 vest and 280 hoody. I can’t speak for the 240 hoody, but I don’t think you’re getting a Kenai or anything under the 280 sleeves, they are snug. I’m not sure if the 260 has the same tight sleeves. Also, the 280 sleeves have a thinner material from the wrist to the armpit on the underside of the sleeve. It’s nice to let some heat out while moving, but I can feel the chill under there when I’m sitting if that’s all I have on. I think the 260 has that thinner material on the back.

The 240 material is definitely thinner and it looks like it would snag much more than the 280 strong fleece material. I’ve also worn the 280 in a light rain (just in town) and it shed water for the short time I was in the rain. 240 material feels like it would be a sponge so it’s good to hear that sheds water too.