Finished my arrows for the 2019 season

dhaverstick

Lil-Rokslider
Over the weekend I finished my arrows for the upcoming season. I normally burn and paint the designs on the shafts but this year my wife wanted to help so it became a family project. Judging by how much fun she had, I think she'll do them all herself next year. I made 12 hunting arrows and 7 practice arrows. I used mahogany shafts that I got from Kevin Forrester of Forrester Wood Shafts. The total arrow weight is around 815 grains with a 190 grain Meathead broadhead. I am moose hunting in October and I wanted an arrow with some thump to it!

I tried something different this year with the fletching. I used straight fletching instead of helical. There was an article in a recent issue of "Traditional Bowhunter" that made a case for straight over helical fletching. I found the argument convincing so I thought I would give it a try.

Darren

z3ZVE43.jpg

9P30tgA.jpg

t6VzTwL.jpg

QwRT8Iu.jpg

IXofA50.jpg

tPuFqn4.jpg

zoCOdPZ.jpg

OP
dhaverstick

dhaverstick

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks, all!

Sweet! How do you like those shafts you got from Kevin?

I have been getting hardwood shafts from Kevin for several years and I think he makes the best ones available.

What's the gist of the straight fletch argument?

The gist is that the effect of spin on the arrow to stabilize it, caused by helical fletching, is negligible. With its large length-to-diameter ratio, an arrow is more like a rocket or missile than a bullet or football. Rockets have fins but they are not there to cause spin. One physicist in the article claims that an arrow would have to spin 1000000 rpm in order for spin to be an effective stabilizer. So if an arrow does not need to spin to be stable then straight fletching are superior over helical. Why? They produce less drag and, therefore, less noise and higher speed. When you shoot the logs that I do, any speed increase is a good thing!

Darren

eyeguy

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder if the straight will stabilize a field point as well as helical but with a broadhead i am guessing planing will be more of an issue without the spin.