Finnlight vs T3 Lite

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I started the search for a compact rifle. One problem I frequently came across was that compact rifles in lighter recoiling cartridges were geared towards new shooters and therefore, cheaper models with more plastic and blued barrels. So I bought a stainless T3 in 300wsm that the previous owner had cut down to 20”. I used it for deer hunting for the season. But when my wife was finished using my M695 in 25.06, I went back to that. I ended up taking a doe with the wsm at 25 yards and a buck with the quarter bore at 30 yards.

I originally bought the rifle with the intention of re-barreling to a 7 saum. After considering that most of the game I take end up being quite close as a result of still hunting, I decided I might be just as well off with a traditional standard chambering and started to look for a 7mm-08.

I recently purchased a used Finnlight in 7mm-08 and decided to compare it to my T3 with the shortened barrel. It’s not apples to apples but I think a reasonable comparison. Both rifles have very close overall and barrel lengths.

Tikka weighed in at 5.99 lbs
Sako weighed in at 6.34 lbs

If you aren’t concerned about the cheaper stock and more plastic on a T3, I think a viable option would be to purchase a stainless T3 in 7mm-08 and have the barrel shortened to 20”. My guess is in that modified configuration you likely have a bare rifle at just under 6lbs. I actually think the rifle will be nicely balanced as I quite liked the balance of the shortened T3.

Overall I am impressed with the fit and finish of the Finnlight, I have always wanted one and that definitely played a factor. Overall I would like to get it down to the 6 lb range, probably my best bet would a Wildcat Composites stock.

3E45E7DF-34EA-446C-A81D-7019C74A056E_1_201_a.jpeg

Anyways, I just wanted to share my findings. I know a lot of people try to weigh the pros and cons of upgrading a Tikka, no doubt a rewarding process. At this time in my life it was a bit more economical to buy a used Finnlight. I know doubt will end up with another T3 in the future.

Last edited:
I've got both the rifles you're talking about. I love the 7-08, and have had as many as 7 at one time before. I currently have a stock Finnlight except I did thread it so I could shoot it suppressed (Nomad Ti for an ultralight suppressor). I had a stock Tikka T3 that I had cut back to 18" and threaded, Cerakoated, and painted the stock. Guess I kinda figured I'd use that one as my loaner rifle that I could suppress so whoever I hunted with didn't blow my eardrums out. I do love em both dearly, and I've probably taken more game with the Finnlight by far, but they're both pretty nice rifles!

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I've got both the rifles you're talking about. I love the 7-08, and have had as many as 7 at one time before. I currently have a stock Finnlight except I did thread it so I could shoot it suppressed (Nomad Ti for an ultralight suppressor). I had a stock Tikka T3 that I had cut back to 18" and threaded, Cerakoated, and painted the stock. Guess I kinda figured I'd use that one as my loaner rifle that I could suppress so whoever I hunted with didn't blow my eardrums out. I do love em both dearly, and I've probably taken more game with the Finnlight by far, but they're both pretty nice rifles!
That's awesome that you actually had both in 7mm-08! I am new to the cartridge but excited to test out both the cartridge and the rifle.

I found the whole process interesting and I guess that's why I wrote a post. Do you know what your T3 with a 18" barrel ended up weighing?

I don't know what it weighs. I'll see if I can find that postal scale around here tomorrow and throw it on the scale. It's a pretty light rig. Definitely lighter than the Finnlight!