Fire boots - heel question

I know this isn't a wildland firefighting forum, but I figured there might be some of you guys with insight into this issue. I'm in the process of ordering a new pair of fire boots and am considering going with a more traditional boot this time around. The main reason is that I have weird feet, and I could never get a good fit from any of the mountaineering-style fire boots that are available. My Lowa Baffins are nice boots, but they've never been a good fit. I'm currently looking at the Hot Shot boot from Nick's. Nicks offers more sizing options and can hopefully get my feet fitted correctly.

I'm leaning towards the low-heel version of this boot. I've heard the arguments in favor of the higher heel, and many people I work with like them. In spite of that, I have a hard time believing that a high heeled boot is a better choice for hiking in the mountains. I also know that a lot of people in firefighting wear high-heeled logger boots because that's what their friends wear. Whites boots and others like them are sort of a firefighting icon. Maybe my doubts aren't justified? I've worn them in the store, but the boots always feel weird and don't fit me well - maybe a well-fitting pair would be a different story.

These boots will be used on fires, but more often for general forestry work out in the woods.

If you have experience with the higher heeled boots for use in the mountains, what was your experience?

PNWGATOR

WKR
I have Nick’s high arch/heel option and I do not like them at all with respect to comfort and ergonomics, especially in the mountains. Makes zero sense to me why a maker offers this option aside from ‘tradition’. The boot itself is well made and has lasted.

DESERT ED

FNG
I too am looking to get into a pair of custom Nicks with the lower heel. $500 is a hard pill to swallow for custom boots that may or may not work out. I have my custom form all filled out... just gotta get to drinking and order them up. Good luck...

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had haix, scarpa, lowa, wesco whites and 2 pairs of nicks.
Sold all but my my custom nicks. They are the most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned. I had my doubts with the high heel and arch when I first started but I actually prefer them now even with my flat feet. I did have to start wearing them a few week before season to get acclimated to them again after winter. You can pick them up used pretty cheap to give them a try.

Similar to why line year is worn lower than a traditional backpack, the heel is nice if youre bent over digging line day in/day out. If you’re sitting on an engine the flatter soles are fine. I started with whites decades ago and now prefer a heel even on flat ground. If you want a “hybrid” Wescos still have a heel but less aggressive.

have all three makers and nicks would be my 1st choice for a dedicated fire boot. Wescos would be my top choice for a general all around work boot that might see a detail a year. Whites were the gold standard but seem to have cut some corners since lacrosse bought them out. No experience with franks....

Last edited:

Jsn_leonard

Lil-Rokslider
I love my Nicks. I’ve had them for over 10 years with 2 re-soles. My feet couldn’t handle whites but fit perfectly in Nicks.

What do you experienced Nicks wearers think about using them as a hunting boot? I'd be wearing 15-20lb total day pack. Thick brush, blowdowns, steep sidehilling, scree/talus, that sort of thing. I don't ever anticipate more than a mile, or 2 at most, heavy animal packout distance (but probably very steep). Are the Nicks the wrong boot for this? It seems, to me, that I'd be using them in very similar conditions (except for the heat) as a fire crew would.

mmac

WKR
I am a high heel believer. The whites feel odd because of the arch support. But they are rebuildable and last a lifetime. I think the high heel gives an advantage going up hills with heavy loads as well. More stable and less calf stretch.

Big Dunc

FNG
Unfortunately, boots are one of those you have to put them to work to find out what fits you right. I had higher heeled wesco, hawthorn and small shop customs in both caulks and fire soles until I tried lower heels and fell in love. Had the lows last season and they fell apart really fast. At the end of last season I got the kenetrek fire boot and they have done great this season.