Fire extinguisherfor truck

Randle

WKR
I am looking to few a couple fire extinguishers for the Atv , truck and camper. I don't want the nasty powder ones. I see home depot has fire gone , and some other one that are powerless. Any firefighters here to shed light on options. I used the have a halon one but don't see those any more.

The fire gone appears to be a foam. I have never seen one work and have no experience with them.

My opinion as a firefighter who has trained with chemical fire extinguishers is that the powder extinguisher may be more effective in more situations.

My reasoning here is a small foam extinguisher may deliver a more narrow steam. The goal in fire extinguishing is to cover the fire quickly and completely with the agent to disrupt the chemical reaction. Basically, either cool it or deprive it of oxygen. The small foam extinguisher may be better if you have direct access to the seat of the fire. Think frying pan grease fire. However, if the fire is spread or hard to reach, maybe under hood engine fire, a chemical extinguisher maybe better as it will disperse the dry chemical in a wider manner.

Again, I have not seen the foam extinguisher work. It may deliver a good wide application.

Wellsdw

WKR
Dry chem is really about the best/only option. Dry chem will “cake” but foams will separate, breakdown or clump up. For a extinguisher stand point on a car fire, if you don’t jump on the fire quick, no small 10-15lb ext will control it. Keep the hood down, And get your $hit out of the car. Halon is all but gone, except for really specialized applications.

UpWndFrt

FNG
H3R makes a nice Halotron extinguisher that appeared to be a good replacement for Halon. Most are common diameters and should be easy to find a vehicle mount to cooperate.

They are not what I'd call inexpensive...

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
As someone in the industry I’ll tell you your options are limited. Dry chem extinguishers are your best bet due to them being ABC extinguishers. A is for all things that turn to ash when burned, like wood, paper, some plastics, normal stuff. B is for flammable liquids, and C is for electrical fires. Not all extinguishers are ABC rated.

If you go and buy a cheap CO2 extinguishers that doesn’t make a mess, you won’t be putting out any small garbage can fires because the smaller CO2 extinguishers aren’t even A rated.

Really the only thing other than a dry chem that is ABC rated is what’s called a cleanguard extinguisher. The clean guards use a refrigerant, and dont leave a mess and are still ABC rated, but usually not as robust of an A rating as a Dry chem.

Water extinguishers are a no no on fuel fires and electrical, you might be able to go with a “water mist” extinguisher but those aren’t the best option.

Also, Cleanguards are pricey, and Halon is no longer allowed to be sold. So I’d just got with an ABC dry chem and be careful it’s mounted correctly. Don’t want thing blowing off in the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Randle

Randle

WKR
Well thanks for the answers and details . I have used several dry chem and just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better cleaner option. Why did halos go away? Because they worked pretty well from my experience.

Wellsdw

WKR
Halons went out due to ozone depletion. Halon alternatives are in use but only as a supplement to other agents. Issued for complete phase out by 2000. Just made my rookie look it up for his training of
The day.

ChromeKype

Lil-Rokslider
Well thanks for the answers and details . I have used several dry chem and just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better cleaner option. Why did halos go away? Because they worked pretty well from my experience.

Apparently they kill the Ozone, but the military is still allowed to buy em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCooper

FNG
Try STOP-FYRE by AKE. Supposed to be the real deal. It’s pretty pricey. The can be refilled and the valve will reseal so your able to use just what you need.

Squamch

WKR
Dry chem ABC, biggest damn one you can fit.
How are you going to mount it? Don't leave it rattling around loose in the truck.
My buddy backdoorfab on hipstergram sells these as a weld it yourself. I've got a few on different rigs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200720-122708_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20200720-122708_Instagram.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 10