Fire formed brass

WKR

WKR
Can I take some once fired brass that has not been fire formed in my rifle and bump the shoulder back to the same dimension as my chamber formed brass ?
Just wondering if there will be any difference between the brass during load development or if they are essentially the same after sizing and bumping to the same dimension.
they are all the same headstamp. Some fired in my rifle and 20 fired through a buddies.

SDHNTR

WKR
FL size it first, load and shoot it in your gun, then proceed. That’s what I do.

204guy

WKR
Short answer, maybe. If his chamber is the same or smaller than yours you're gtg.

If your chamber is smaller that your buddies and his cases expanded at the base you won't be able to resize that far down the case and they'll either chamber very tightly or not at all. Bumping shoulders back is not big deal. Case body expansion is a big problem.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I would FL size everything so you have a known base starting point. FWIW - I've evolved to FL sizing all my hunting loads even during load development. I'll anneal every 3 or 4 shots, but my thinking is I don't want to take the chance that when I need that quick follow up I might have to fight with the bolt. With my target rifles I still fire form and neck size chasing that bug hole group, but for hunting loads I don't find it necessary. YMMV

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
I would FL size everything so you have a known base starting point. FWIW - I've evolved to FL sizing all my hunting loads even during load development. I'll anneal every 3 or 4 shots, but my thinking is I don't want to take the chance that when I need that quick follow up I might have to fight with the bolt. With my target rifles I still fire form and neck size chasing that bug hole group, but for hunting loads I don't find it necessary. YMMV
I didn't think target shooters were only neck sizing.

Last edited:

SDHNTR

WKR
Buy a Wilson case gauge if you are worried about it. If your buddies rifle has a sloppy chamber, yes, you may have outsized case expansion. Dropping a sized case into a case gauge is a quick way to ensure you won’t have chambering problems.

Buy a Wilson case gauge if you are worried about it. If your buddies rifle has a sloppy chamber, yes, you may have outsized case expansion. Dropping a sized case into a case gauge is a quick way to ensure you won’t have chambering problems.
If you purchase their micrometer, you can also set your shoulder bump when full-length resizing .
Wilson case gauge/micrometer and a case fired from your chamber.

rayporter

WKR
Short answer, maybe. If his chamber is the same or smaller than yours you're gtg.

If your chamber is smaller that your buddies and his cases expanded at the base you won't be able to resize that far down the case and they'll either chamber very tightly or not at all. Bumping shoulders back is not big deal. Case body expansion is a big problem.
pretty much gets the high points here.

about 95% of the time one shot is not enough to get a case to fill out in the chamber. it needs hammered a few times to fill the chamber. those first few shots i will neck size for paper punching and then full length size when needed.

in short range BR it can be demonstrated that a case not filling a chamber is detrimental to accuracy. for hunting rifles you must have clearance.

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I full length sized them and bumped the shoulders back to the same as my brass. I chambered them this morning and they went right in. Question is will they shoot the same?

OP
WKR

WKR

WKR
I bumped the shoulder back with a hornady headspace gauge. Its the same thing as the Wilson gauge isn't it?

I get the feeling some people are using "FL sizing" and "bumped the shoulders back" as the same thing and some folks are using "FL sizing" as the sizing die being bottomed out on the shell holder..
I full length sized them and bumped the shoulders back to the same as my brass. I chambered them this morning and they went right in. Question is will they shoot the same?

It's impossible to say. I'd bet they shoot pretty damn close if not the same but there's a small chance that wont be the case.

bbassi

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't think target shooters were only neck sizing.
Please point out where I said only, or mentioned anyone other than myself. We'll wait.
Meanwhile, some here might find this video interesting. I know for myself I could only dream to shoot on this level.

Trippy

Lil-Rokslider
Please point out where I said only, or mentioned anyone other than myself. We'll wait.
Meanwhile, some here might find this video interesting. I know for myself I could only dream to shoot on this level.
Easy now, your statement I replied to I read as "I neck size for my target rifle but FL size for my hunting rifle"...in short. My bad.