fire in my hunting area

so a couple days ago there was a smaller fire that had been started close to where I have scouted and planned on hunting. It has burned under 20 acres, they are just going to let it burn. my question is how close would you guys consider hunting to the fire? would it be a waste of time to hunt within 1/4 mile or so?

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
uploadfromtaptalk1376447985577.jpg
This buck was taken 500 yards from fire line.
uploadfromtaptalk1376448059410.jpg
This bull was killed inside the burn from that year.

Ethan S.

Lil-Rokslider
I would think you could hunt right by a fire, you might want to have your camp in the black just to be safe though. I bet the real problem you could have is if the area gets closed and the authorities not allowing you to go in where you want.

Tag stew

Lil-Rokslider
300, you and me both, got a fire out here in CA very close to where we plan on backpacking into. Burned about 1700 acre's so far.

Sreekers, that's a really cool looking bull.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
TS, thanks. I shot him cause he had the weird antler.

The fire didn't end until mud august and the elk were back in about a week. I think they are just like us wanting to see the damage.

Buster

WKR
Love that mulie sreekers. Although I haven't hunted near fires, the aftermath tends to produce some great hunting. A couple of ridges I run have had fires and are now prime feeding areas. Would be interesting to see how animals act when they are close to wild fires.

KHNC

WKR
Last years fire in NW Nebraska had muleys back in it within two weeks of it being put out. They may have made it in there sooner but thats when i arrived to hunt.

Just be very careful for widowmakers and log jams that haven't settled. Basically every burnt tree either dead or standing can move or fall down with the slightest puff of wind.