Fire Maple? Or Jet Boil

Anyone use a fire maple camping stove? It looks like a knock off of a jet boil and is available on Amazon for $46. 4.5 stars says it might be worth a try. Any one having any personal experience with a fire maple?BBFCB649-B6EA-48CF-8EC7-EE73FCFF3969.png

mlgc20

WKR
A buddy of mine has one. The Fire Maple is decent quality. Boils water much slower than a Jetboil. And the difference gets wider with very cold water. It weighs more than the Jetboil. If you really don’t have the money, the Fire Maple is a reasonable choice. But, I’d rather spend a little more and get the Jetboil.

Looks like the original campchef striker
The small slots at bottom of cup didn't allow enough oxygen in and it struggled at altitude.
They have since increased those in size.

socoalt

WKR
I picked up a primus eta lite+ online from sportsmans warehouse website for $49. Quality is on par w/jetboil for the price of the fire maple.

Last edited:

treillw

WKR
I got a jetboil minimo after years of using a MSR pocket rocket. I couldn't imagine a stove that works better for boiling water. Kicking myself for not getting one sooner. Never tried the simmer feature, but doubt it would have problems.

Last rifle season when it was zero with 20 mph winds for a two days when we were camping I was ready to throw the pocket rocket into the snow bank.

TheGDog

WKR
GSI makes a nice and small Minimalist pot for heating your water for your Mountain House meals. With an MSR Pocket Rocket stove gets hot real fast. The fuel canister fits in it nicely when done.

Beendare

WKR
I would read the current “Scared to move from Jetboil” thread in the ultra light section here, lots of good info on these stoves

——