Fire near Silverton/Unit 74 CO

Poser

WKR
A fire just broke out near the Ice Lakes TH, South Mineral Creek outside of Silverton/Unit 74. Rumor is a cigarette butt started it at the parking area. It appears to have grown very quickly and that is extraordinarily difficult country to fight a fire. Aerial crews in route, but I’d be looking for a plan B of hunting the Northern portion of 74. The immediate area has been closed.

d87e528c5db17c85d4c70ffed48575c6.jpg

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I just found a fresh cigarette butt thrown down on a trail last week. It wasn't even stomped out. Luckily it was all rocks, gravel, and dirt on the trail but the wind could have blown it into the dry stuff easily. The world is full of morons these days.

The moisture content was found to be 2% in the grass fuels for this fire. This is basically the scenario for all the western slope and most likely all of CO.
If you come here to hunt, respect the ban. Serious business.
We don’t want our home burned down by someone who can just walk away and never have to deal with it. We feel the pain by being evacuated, employment issues, health issues, higher home insurance, and loss of game meat when the power gets shut down. The last one might be the toughest for some folks who actually depend on it here.

Lane579

FNG
“We don’t want our home burned down…”. Guarantee it was a local pot head BrokenArrow. Sorry for the reality check.

What happened with this fire? I hadn't heard anything about it.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
P

Poser

WKR
What happened with this fire? I hadn't heard anything about it.

It resulted in the area being closed for an entire year to allow the tundra to regenerate. The regional FS has pushed for a permit system for ice lakes but it was denied due to lack of budget for enforcement. Super impacted area. Lots of douches and idiots starting a alpine hike at 1:30 in the afternoon during monsoon season. If memory serves, multiple people and dogs had to be rescinded by helicopter after getting cut off by this fire.

It resulted in the area being closed for an entire year to allow the tundra to regenerate. The regional FS has pushed for a permit system for ice lakes but it was denied due to lack of budget for enforcement. Super impacted area. Lots of douches and idiots starting a alpine hike at 1:30 in the afternoon during monsoon season. If memory serves, multiple people and dogs had to be rescinded by helicopter after getting cut off by this fire.
Wow...I can't understand what's so hard about staying out of a closed area...so many other places to hike. Thanks for info