Fire…or is it?

Like many others on this forum, I really enjoy being warm 😜 and because of that have turned to multiple seek outside shelters with ultralight stoves. But this brings about the question…

In my home state and many of the states I will be hunting this year there are “fire bans”. They often specifically call out campfires, open flames, etc. But is an ultralight stove considered a campfire? Is it allowed even when there is a fire ban? Since it’s contained would it be allowed? Or because it could put our sparks would it be banned? I do plan on contacting each area specifically, but was curious if others have had this problem and knew the answer already. Currently my searches online have led to a variety of answers (imagine that) so I thought I would ask you guys.

Obviously once snow falls it because a relatively simple answer. I’m looking at the time between now and then. When we don’t have snow but it is still plenty cold some mornings.

As a subject residing in the People's Republik of Commiefornistan the rules are pretty weird and vary from place to place. Here's an example.

Current restrictions in place:

• No campfires, barbeques, or open fires, regardless if you are in a developed campground. Portable stoves with gas, jelled petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel are authorized with a valid California campfire permit.

My NuWay 3500 propane stove is legal but a wood or pellet burning stove is not. Maybe the concern is cinders?

Voyageur

WKR
In the Black Hills of SD I can't use the stove in my tipi...ever. They only allow fires in campsite grates. I've checked with the forest service more than once on this to make sure I was understanding the regs. Each time the answer has been the same.

OP
passinggas33
As a subject residing in the People's Republik of Commiefornistan the rules are pretty weird and vary from place to place. Here's an example.

Current restrictions in place:

• No campfires, barbeques, or open fires, regardless if you are in a developed campground. Portable stoves with gas, jelled petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel are authorized with a valid California campfire permit.

My NuWay 3500 propane stove is legal but a wood or pellet burning stove is not. Maybe the concern is cinders?
This is exactly what I keeep finding on various sites. Kind of hard to decipher on what’s good and what’s not.

tdhanses

WKR
If a tree falls in the woods and nobody hears it does it make a sound?....
That’s exactly how the spring creek fire started in CO, thinking like you just stated, burned over 100k acres and many homes.

If no ones watching do you take what isn't yours? I know you don't but falls in line with that saying.

tdhanses

WKR
This is exactly what I keeep finding on various sites. Kind of hard to decipher on what’s good and what’s not.
In CO during a ban it would be illegal, also if not 100% sure I’d error on the side of caution.

Wags

WKR
That’s exactly how the spring creek fire started in CO, thinking like you just stated, burned over 100k acres and many homes.

If no ones watching do you take what isn't yours? I know you don't but falls in line with that saying.

To each is own, I'm not saying to break any laws and there is a difference between a raging fire and a fire in a stove with a spark arrestor. I'm saying that at times the reg's don't always line up with what's practical. I got caught in a snow storm years ago, piss poor planning on my part, on a mtn that was perhaps in a no camp fire area. Walking back through a white out was not the best plan of action. I was under prepared at best, so I used a poncho, built a hasty shelter and started a responsible small fire that i fully extinguished and buried before dragging my cold/wet self back to the truck. Regardless of that situation IF i had done that it was still wrong. Let's be honest, there are some idiots out there who don't take precautions or exercise common sense. I'm in no way saying break the law or Reg's, just exercise good judgement and be safe.

The reason gas fired stuff is ok is it doesn’t make sparks. If it makes sparks and the woods are dry it can start a fire So that’s why the ban. 99% of us are probably smart enough to know whether we could safely have a fire on any particular day. The ban is aimed at those 1% of idiots and the rest of us get caught in the net. These idiots maybe number more than 1% but it doesn’t take much.

I was playing a music gig about 3 weeks ago within spitting distance of the still smoldering Tamarack fire. The venue was small resort on leased NF land. As it got dark and I was packing up, a group of people were trying to start a campfire in a ring near the stage. I politely asked if they had checked with the resort. They mumbled something and I said “umm ya know… Were on the National Forest and theres an absolute unequivocal complete fire ban right now”. They desisted, but I was shocked.

Easy way to be sure; call the local sheriffs office and ask. Then call the local forest service or BLM office (whichever land you will be on) and ask.

Forget the fire, bring the alternative.

what-to-wear-hiking-Summer-hiking-clothes-wtvox-01.jpg

JeffP_Or

WKR
The areas we often frequent [national and state forests] there is often specific requirement for spark arrestors on stove pipes - usually they list a size of screen [typically 1/4"x1/4"]. This is the 'shoulder' season [read 'rifle deer'] where folks are in the woods and it is still dry enough to warrant an open fire ban but they have eased the 'designated fire ring' restrictions.

As you've noted - check locally. Have fun, be safe and act responsibility!

Moserkr

WKR
Check the exceptions for a warming fire and cooking fire if you really want to be confused. Then as @JeffP_Or stated above, spark arrestor size. Consider too that the rules are so confusing even a ranger or warden (in CA) tends to error on the conservative side since they dont even know exactly.

If there is rain or snow in the forecast, I bring the stove. If im camping in alpine, or rocky areas and its below freezing, stove comes along. Ban, no ban, Im far out there and can be logical/safe. I dont burn near duff and wood selection is also important - you dont want wood popping off embers regardless unless you want holes in your tent. If its dry and above freezing, you really do not NEED a stove. Even down to 20* if its dry enough, use common sense. Below that temp, there shouldnt be a fire danger anymore, its damn near winter.

For example, last year the state wide CA fire ban went until the end of october. I believe they even outlawed gas stoves (ridiculous). Opening day of rifle in late september we camped through a snow storm that dumped 6” overnight. 4 miles deep that tipi wood stove was roaring that night…. Temps hit the single digits next morning. Id love to see the look on a ranger or wardens face if they tracked me in that far, in the snow, when I tell em off.

def90

WKR
In Colorado when there are fire bans the only form of fire that's allowed is a device with an on/off switch, so yes, your ultralight camp stove would be ok. The typical ignition source for forest fires outside of lightning are embers/old fires that people don't completely put out that reignite, unattended camp fires or embers from active campfires that get out of the fire ring or embers that escape the chimney of a wood fired stove..