Fire pit cooking grate?

Agross

WKR
Been wanting to get or make or have made a grate for cooking over our fire pit at home. Figured I would check here for some ideas. I would like something that I can maybe swing away from and back onto the fire. Or something that adjusts up and down. A buddy of mine made one that is square and has angle iron around the outside so you don't have to worry about food falling off or sliding off when flipping. I know you can buy the tripod style ones, but they seem kind of cheep and overpriced. I figured there are alot of talented people on here, or even if you bought one you really like. Post a pic if you don't mind . Looking for some good ideas.

Last edited:
Not fancy, but I bought a $25 Wal-Mart special on a trip 3 years ago thinking it was a throw away. Still use it. It’s stable and does the job. I use mine for direct grilling as well as holding cast iron pots. I am surprised how much I liked it.

OP
A

Agross

WKR
Don't really care about fancy as much as functional. Its for my fire pit at home so not worried about weight or transporting just looking for ideas I'm thinking at least two feet across I can probably have somebody fabricate one but just looking for ideas Honestly was hoping there would be alot of people wanting to show theirs off

OP
A

Agross

WKR
Don't really want something I have to set in there and lift out, more something I can swing over and off , and/or raise up and down. I have and idea of what I want but thought maybe I could get some more ideas.

Post a picture of your fire pit. I’m sure some members can give you some ideas.
A drop in grill would probably be the best design. Pretty simple to make.

Azone

WKR
I have a bigger bbq pit that stays in my yard all the time now and a mini size one that goes on all the trips now. I will get some pictures posted up for you when I get home.

Azone

WKR
@Agross
Screenshot_20200421-081859_Gallery.jpg
20200126_163104.jpg

The picture of the little one is a zoomed in screen shot, so it's a little rough looking. The big one I have, I put together with a bunch scraps and drops from my job except for a few pieces I actually bought, so it's a little rough looking for my standards. The big one was also used at my deer camp for a few seasons when are group was bigger for a few years. They both have removable legs that are held in place via pinch bolts. The removable legs make transportation WAY easier and uneven ground is not a problem. MAKE SURE pinch bolts are TIGHT.....ask me how I know....😬.
If you already have a fire ring you could have a grill made like the one pictured with no pit and just set it over the fire ring. Being able to turn a wheel and have a grill go up and down while being suspended from a cable is a breeze. Hope it helps some. If you want more pictures let me know and I will take some from different angles. Or you should be able to get all kinds of ideas by googling Santa Maria style bbq pits.

OP
A

Agross

WKR
Thank you very much!! Cool looking setup. And thanks for the pics. And big thanks for the heads up on Santa Maria. Don’t know how I hadn’t found that in all my searches. I just have a redneck fire pit. Its good sized so I have plenty of options for size and style.
DB76C1A1-7270-4328-9065-ECECAD915DCC.jpeg
again thanks for taking the time to respond.

MTSabo

WKR
Here is mine i made. It goes up, down, in, out, swings out, and the grate spins around. Just replaced the grate after 10 years or so. Its held up by leverage so you can load it without worry.

Attachments

• 20200509_113752.jpg
    20200509_113752.jpg
    696 KB · Views: 22
OP
A

Agross

WKR
Thats the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Thank you, I might have to steal your set up idea. Does the main long shaft slide back and forth inside the cut piece of square tube?

TheHardWay

Lil-Rokslider
I built one a while ago with some angle iron and expanded metal. I have since gone to using cast iron grate from an old gas grill. Its more of the kind that you stick on a fire above the hot coals, but Im sure you could adapt one to be elevated above the fire and swing in and out of the heat. I may have a few extras laying around if you're interested.

MTSabo

WKR
Yes the flat stock slides through the square tubr for the extending and retracting. By all means use it. Fantastic for at home and camping with the truck. Here are a few close ups, hope they help.

20200509_135300.jpg20200509_135237.jpg20200509_135223.jpg

The round stock also will slide into the square bracket, which in turn i slide into a pvc tube with one cap removable for storage/transit. Havent thought of a good way for the grate besides a trash bag.

Last edited:
OP
A

Agross

WKR
I built one a while ago with some angle iron and expanded metal. I have since gone to using cast iron grate from an old gas grill. Its more of the kind that you stick on a fire above the hot coals, but Im sure you could adapt one to be elevated above the fire and swing in and out of the heat. I may have a few extras laying around if you're interested.
Thanks for the offer. I actually have an older grill we are getting rid of that I took the grates out of and cleaned up. Just trying to figure our how I'm gonna rig it up .