Fire season coming to an end!

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
That is good news. I've had a couple of my folks go up to help in MT and across the West it's sad to see the state of affairs. It was human nature to put out fires but not having enough small fires and insisting on dense stands of commercial timber is what got us into this situation in the first place. I sometimes wonder if we'll ever be able to burn enough acres to get ahead of the stand replacement fires. I'm not sure we ever will.
Best art is we have "experimental" forests. With thinning projects that have been under way for years. Showing the benefit of thinning.

This burn thing has nothing to do with management or conservation. Only money...government is BS

Best art is we have "experimental" forests. With thinning projects that have been under way for years. Showing the benefit of thinning.

This burn thing has nothing to do with management or conservation. Only money...government is BS
I'm not clear what you're saying about the "burn thing." Could you explain what you mean by that?

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
Where do you find that?
Personal experience. 1988 in augusta that fire almost put ranchers out of business around there. It could of been stopped but initially was not threatening private holdings.

Burning stump in bob a few years ago, caused by lightning was almost put out by privates, forest service made them back off.

This year a 40 some thousand acre was almost out by rain. (With in a couple miles of my house) Fire crews had been fighting it rior to the rain. After rain all efforts were on standby. It blew back up. Hopefully this rain puts it out for good.

Prior to 1980s it was policy to put them out.

Since then "science" has changed how they view it.

I will attatch a link to some of the history.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
So you're saying we can mechanically remove enough material from all the forests to get ahead of the problem?

Do you see any role for prescribed or natural fire at all?
Ugh....no not what I'm saying at all.
Why's it gotta be either or?

Why does everything always have to be either or.

More logging would help immensely. ON several levels. Same as fires do...

Can't log everything.

When mother nature gives an assist on putting a fire out..why not go ahead and finish putting it out.

Fact of fire....it takes 2 burns to clean up a heavy forest. All 1 burn does is create more down timber.

Can't log everything.

When mother nature gives an assist on putting a fire out..why not go ahead and finish putting it out.

Fact of fire....it takes 2 burns to clean up a heavy forest. All 1 burn does is create more down timber.
I never said it had to be either or but you only spoke well of logging and thinning and only spoke poorly of fire. Your words. Not mine. Glad to hear you recognize the value of both.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR

Can't log everything.

Hayden, Idaho. That airport is less 900 yards away, all you can see is smoke....

Never seen it like this before, pretty good wildfire up near my home in Priest River as well.
Yall got it rough over there. I just got back from post falls.

Really hoping the rain frees up some firefighters to go knock out some fires

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
I never said it had to be either or but you only spoke well of logging and thinning and only spoke poorly of fire. Your words. Not mine. Glad to hear you recognize the value of both.
No. Not what I said. Spoke poorly of letting fires burn when the opportunity arises to put them out. Spoke poorly of the government management.

Wildfires like that are such a crazy thing for me to comprehend. Hope all stay safe and the burns grow back quickly

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member

Newtosavage-I used to value your input around here, and don't ever recall an argumentative tone. If someone has hacked your account, I'd say it is a bratty teenager whose end goal is not to logically exchange ideas in an mature and productive manner, but rather stir the pot and act like a petulant child.
FFS-give it a rest.

OP
Deadfall

Deadfall

WKR
We had almost 24 hours of good drizzle rain with some solid rain mixed in.

Hopefully that frees up some help for yall in Idaho and beyond.

Going to be a fantastic season in the woods regardless.

Newtosavage-I used to value your input around here, and don't ever recall an argumentative tone. If someone has hacked your account, I'd say it is a bratty teenager whose end goal is not to logically exchange ideas in an mature and productive manner, but rather stir the pot and act like a petulant child.
FFS-give it a rest.
Clarifying what someone said so I can better understand where they are coming from is now argumentative? Huh. I learn something new every day. Thanks Team4 for the constructive criticism. What that has to do with the topic at hand, I have no idea.