Fire Smoke

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Smoke so bad here can't even see the mountains. Im wondering if this stuff would affect not just myself but the elk Im after. Its really bad today.
Any experts want to weigh in on this?

OP
P

Praxeus

Lil-Rokslider
Spokane Valley. Getting ready to head east into N Idaho

nphunter

WKR
The smoke won’t effect the hunting, possibly your sense of smell? I’ve never noticed a difference. NEO is always smoky in Sept.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I shot a bull within a 100 yds of an active fire, he did not care one bit and it added a little extra excitement packing him out listening to the trees and debris snapping and popping……the smoke though it can make it tough on the lungs

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
Last bull I shot was 2 years ago. It was hot, and so smoky my eyes were irritated and I could taste the smoke with every breath. Glassing was impossible. I screwed around in the morning of day one feeling pretty down about the situation. At lunch I contemplated packing up and heading a couple hundred km north to my backup area.

Anyhow, that afternoon, headed down into a thick creekbottom. Got a bull talking, called him in and killed him just before last lastlight.

Was a long hard night getting him out and the next morning felt like I had smoked 10 packs of cigarettes but I'm sure glad I didn't leave at lunch

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
Haven't seen the Bighorns from here for a few days now... six miles away. I wish ya'll up there would put those fires out! 🥴

dcremin

FNG
I shot a bull within a 100 yds of an active fire, he did not care one bit and it added a little extra excitement packing him out listening to the trees and debris snapping and popping……the smoke though it can make it tough on the lungs

Wow - You have a bigger set than me. Did you cut some steaks and let them cook while you were quartering?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
You do silly stuff for elk and and bugling bulls🤙Should have taken more photos and would now….the usfs let this fire burn out ended up a few thousand acres he was within a 100 yds of the right side of the smoke plum..good memories he came running to the old school bugle tube 👊

Attachments

• 9630B565-FDFA-404E-8CAF-7D3D02F8AC28.jpeg
    9630B565-FDFA-404E-8CAF-7D3D02F8AC28.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 23
  • F42876C3-F1BE-4142-B9A5-E8AA1BB72D00.jpeg
    F42876C3-F1BE-4142-B9A5-E8AA1BB72D00.jpeg
    491 KB · Views: 23