Votes: 12 15.6%
  • All three

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other (post up and let us know)

Votes: 5 6.5%

• Total voters

Lambchop

Lil-Rokslider
So as the season draws closer I have been spending more time here and on other forums. I see a lot of guys that rely on the good old trusty bic lighter and far less with the fire steel or waterproof matches.

So what’s your go to? What do you pack?

We all agree the Bic is the cream of the crop for lighters but what about fire steel. They surly can’t all be created equal. So what’s your favorite or the best fire steel you guys have found?

Bic, 99.9% of the time. I do have a fire steel but mostly because it seems cool and back country rugged 😁
Same! I keep a bic in a pocket and another in the bino harness, but start almost all of my fires with the exotac nano ferro rod. It just seems more sporting. 😀

Netherman

WKR
I'm a bic (mini x2) and matches guy. I've never used the matches, but don't want to be SOL if I manage to get both lighters wet/broke.

I have a ferro rod or two and some lifeboat matches on me for emergencies. A couple of bics - one in the pocket and one with the stove - do most of the day-to-day. Cotton balls in Vaseline are usually along for the ride.

K

Kootenay Hunter

2-3 bics scatter in the bag/pockets.

firesteel would be a good idea for an extended period, where a bic could run out or malfunction, but odds of 2 bis failing on a 5 day trip are pretty low, plus you have the flint on the lighter to spark tinder if needed.

I like to carry a home made firestarter - eggcarton pod filled with lint soaked in parafin wax. It burns for 15min in any weather and doesn't weigh much.

2 mini-Bics, one in bino harness, one with my stove. Also carry a little trioxane in my harness. Sometimes in place of trioxane I'll have a big piece of pitch in a little plastic baggie. If I pass a lightning stricken tree that has oozed all its pitch to the outside I can't help but stop and grab a few of the big pieces.

Tick

WKR
Lighter and two trioxane tabs in hip belt. Small Light My Fire firesteel and 6 soaked cotton balls in pack.

I have waterproof matches buried in my lid. But carry a small lighter and a rod with Vaseline cotton balls. Basically I just make sure I have options cause I loose stuff.

Trial153

WKR
Exotac for a fire steel, match case too and lighter cover. After using pyro putty I will never go back to any other material.

curt514

FNG
The Light my Fire steels are very nice. Water does not bother them and a strong spray if sparks. Will light a cotton ball and vasoline on the first strike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TreyPound

FNG
Magnesium fire starters! Just one will last forever & they're cheap. Takes a while to get good at using it, but definitely a good skill to have. My 2 cents.

All three. I keep a lighter handy and have never had it fail. But keep a dry pouch with matches and flint. It's light and you always want a back up to the back up. Also use trioxane for starting fires. Easy to light wet or dry, burns hot and a long time. Off the shelf fire starters suck in my opinion (Most, haven't tried them all).

Trial153

WKR
I carry a exotac match safe in emergency pouch. A lighter stays in my pocket and I have exotac xl ferno rod on my knife sheath. All total they dont weight much at all and it gives me redundancy.
For fuel the pyro putty is excellent I dont plan on being without it