Fire Wood SW Montana?

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Being from New York where I get ~46 inches of rain per year I’m wondering how difficult it is to gather dry-ish camp fire wood in the southwest part of Montana in November for an elk hunt? Is there fair amounts of down timber available to burn? Or should I be planning to buy split seasoned lumber for camp? I’ll be truck camping so hauling in some wood from a local seller would be a possible.

Asking for a friend because I realize this newbie question deserves some proper hazing ;-).

- Alexgio518

cgasner1

WKR
Should be able to find something dead if you bring a saw just knock the snow off and burn it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I often wonder how the fires aren't worse out there. I have always seen plenty of wood available.

Jkuhn22

FNG
Be sure to check the burning regulations. Every time I have been to SW Montana in September there has been a “no open fire” rule in place. The wind at night is very strong and I completely understand how a small camp fire can turn into a forest fire

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on the area you should have no problem with getting firewood. I would bring a good chainsaw. If your camping out on the low BLM ground around Dillon you might have to drive a ways. Good luck on your hunt

Legend

WKR
Lots of wood available. We had a lot of pine beetles which provided an endless supply of dead trees. But it does take a fair bit of time away from hunting.

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks everyone. So it seems you all have good success with finding timber that is dry enough to easily light and manage a camp stove. I’ll be looking forward to a warm tent to dry gear at night.

Here in NY if you try to light downed timber for camp wood it can be pretty challenging to get a fire to stay going and get any heat off of it. The wood is often quite wet.

Appreciate everyone weighing in.

- Alexgio518

Legend

WKR
Thanks everyone. So it seems you all have good success with finding timber that is dry enough to easily light and manage a camp stove. I’ll be looking forward to a warm tent to dry gear at night.

Here in NY if you try to light downed timber for camp wood it can be pretty challenging to get a fire to stay going and get any heat off of it. The wood is often quite wet.

Appreciate everyone weighing in.

- Alexgio518
Average annual precipitation in southwest montana is probably about 12 to 14 inches. And it has been a really dry year so less than that. Wet wood shouldn't be an issue.

fatlander

WKR
Finding wet wood is exponentially harder than finding elk. You’ll be just fine.

OP
Alexgio518

Alexgio518

WKR
Classified Approved
Finding wet wood is exponentially harder than finding elk. You’ll be just fine.

That’s what I wanted to hear ;-).

Can’t wait to get out there.

- Alexgio518