Fire.

For you guys that have been elk hunting from a camp for many years... fire or no fire during archery season? I've met some guys who say it doesn't matter and others who refuse to use a fire in archery season because of scent. What's your experience and/or opinion and why?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jmez

WKR
No fire. Has nothing to do with scent though. It's always well after dark when I get back to camp. I just eat and go to bed.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Fire is a natural smell to an animal. Your friends are way off base on the smell component. Now the real issue is not setting the whole mountain on fire during early season. Lots of places a fire is a no go because of dry conditions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
nickstevens2588
Fire is a natural smell to an animal. Your friends are way off base on the smell component. Now the real issue is not setting the whole mountain on fire during early season. Lots of places a fire is a no go because of dry conditions.

Yea I could see that for some areas and people. I grew up in the outdoors of Montana so as long as its legal to have in the area I know how to responsibly tend to one. When I say "some guys" I'm just talking people in general. Not friends. I personally have no problem with a fire while out hunting but one guy specifically I asked why (cause in my mind fire is something all animals are used to) and he said he felt that even though they may be used to it he felt that the sudden smell of fire in the animals vicinity can put them on alert. You could easily argue that if your playing the wind as you should then it shouldn't be an issue. But the elements dont always cooperate as we all know so I figured I would ask to see what others think...

sneaky

"DADDY"
I know a lot of guys who build fires and use the smoke scent on their clothes as their cover scent.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had my first campfire during archery season in the last 13 years this year. And that was in the late morning. The only wet cold day we had this last year I was back in camp by 0930 as the cold and wet shut the elk right up. But beyond that, it gets dark around 8pm and it's normally well after that by the time I get back to camp. So I grab a bite and go to bed. No time for a fire.

weaver

WKR
Usually get back to camp to late to have a fire in the evening.
Often have a small fire on the mountain during mid-day if it's cold,wet out.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

OFFHNTN

WKR
No fire. Has nothing to do with scent though. It's always well after dark when I get back to camp. I just eat and go to bed.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Same here. No way will I spend the time to get a fire going, then take the time to put it out 20 minutes later after I eat and am headed to bed.

rayporter

WKR
for a couple years I was a no fire guy. then after a few wet cold miserable days we built a big fire to warm up and cheer up. that night the elk woke us up. they were in our meadow and very near the horses and in the morning the fire still smoldered. so we never worried about it again.

zallen1

FNG
If elk smell the smoke residue left on your clothes they have already picked off the human scent and the hunt is over. Cover scent sounds like a nice idea but in my experience there is no way to overcome the scent from hard hiking/hunting. It's still about playing the wind. I rarely start a fire due to time limitations but when it is wet and cold it's a nice option to warming up and drying out.

OP
nickstevens2588
I'm pretty much the same as everyone else. Only fire if I got cold or wet. Seems like everyone agrees that the smell of fire is not a deal breaker.

I'm usually too tired for a fire in the evening. Days are long and the nights are short in September.

A midday fire with a morning's grouse is much nicer than loosing sleep in the evening.

cnelk

WKR
Some of you guys take this elk hunting waaaayyy to seriously :)

Every year we have a walleye fry, we fish for brookies during the day and yep.... 'Have a helluva good time - killing elk'

7v0lHsK.jpg

Tf4SfiU.jpg

XG13zwA.jpg