Firearm Boxes: To Keep or Not To Keep?

kpk

WKR
I keep a couple around just for shipping purposes if I decide to sell online. I have kept all my handgun cases.

I always keep them. I rarely sell guns but I figure it doesn’t hurt if I ever have to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JeffP_Or

WKR
Keep them for ones to be short sold. Keep them for ones that are safe queen/collectors. All others, document the numbers on the boxes and recycle them [similar to electronics though, don't put them whole in the curbside bin and advertise to everyone what you have inside the house].

I have actually had a few boxes that long guns came in that were not the actual box for that gun - serial numbers were not correct! And they came new from FFL/dealers!

Oregonboy

WKR
toss the gun box, keep the knife box...mostly because of space. I probably don't need either.

Maki35

WKR
I keep them. I wish I had the original boxes to some of the vtg guns that I brought used over the years.

I've sold a few guns.. Some guys want the boxes, others don't.

SWOHTR

WKR
I have actually had a few boxes that long guns came in that were not the actual box for that gun - serial numbers were not correct! And they came new from FFL/dealers!

Please help me understand. If the paperwork matches the firearm, why does it matter what number is on the box?

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Please help me understand. If the paperwork matches the firearm, why does it matter what number is on the box?
I don't think he is saying it "matters"....just surprising that either the box was never properly labeled at the manufacturer, or that a retailer selling a "new" firearm would switch boxes. If you walk up to a truck at a dealer do you expect the sticker on the window to have to correct VIN # on it? Kinda like that....

JeffP_Or

WKR
^^^^^^ Exactly @Doc Holliday.
Just was surprising and further supports boxes make little difference in most circumstances. I suspect the seller had pulled various firearms for shows or for display or whatever and never worried about getting them back. Paperwork was all true and valid - that is what matters to the law.

emath

FNG
What's everyone do with the boxes firearms come in? I've saved them for years, but contemplating throwing them out. I've moved them around room to room too many times. I could see keeping a box if it was for a collectible gun. Every used gun I've purchased did not come with a box, so I can't see how a box could make resale much higher, if any.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I keep for shipping when I sell a gun
What's everyone do with the boxes firearms come in? I've saved them for years, but contemplating throwing them out. I've moved them around room to room too many times. I could see keeping a box if it was for a collectible gun. Every used gun I've purchased did not come with a box, so I can't see how a box could make resale much higher, if any.

Goatboy22

FNG
I haven't read all the responses, but my father in law collected a lot of pistols. The Colts (mostly "Snake" guns) and S & W's all brought approximately $150.00 more each with the original boxes, with the correct barrel length and serial number on the boxes. I estimated more than 2K additional value just because he kept the boxes. Collectors want the boxes with those old pistols. YMMV.

Twerre87

FNG
I try to keep them around if it is a more expensive gun. I don't plan on selling any guns anytime soon, but I do know of some guys who like to see the original box when they purchase a used rifle. Granted that's if you have the extra room to store them.

LuvDog

FNG
I have all the plastic pistol factory cases… almost every used one I’ve bought had the original case too. Long guns it’s a mix… I’d say most of the used rifles I’ve bought didn’t have an original box and that never bothered me. I still have boxes for ones I’ve bought new, but now that I think about it, I’ll probably toss them.