Firearm Insurance?

Anyone have insurance on their firearms? I've read that homeowners insurance will cover some costs in the event of a fire etc, but it's not clear to me how much that would cover. And at what point would it make sense to get additional coverage? Any experience or tips are appreciated.

Might want to check with your insurance agent. I recently talked to mine about this and found out in the event of a loss of all of my firearms, I was only covered for $2000. I added all guns, and optics on to my policy in a hurry after that.

MThuntr

WKR
You can get a rider on your homeowners insurance. Cost depends on the value of what you are insuring.
This ^

It is variable based on company. Most insurance companies barely cover the cost of 1 rifle. I'm in the process of updating mine also after moving from renter to owner.

OP
RaggedHunter
Thanks guys, that helps a bunch. That's the kind of info I was hoping for. I get with my agent and work on getting everything covered.

Definitely look into a totally separate policy for your firearms and other items. They’ll typically refer to it as a floater or inland marine policy. It’ll have a rate/$100 of value so easy to see what it’ll cost.

The reason for a separate policy is you don’t want a claim for lost/stolen firearms effecting your HO insurance which is far more important and something you have to have.

For example: you have a “small” $4-5k firearm loss (covered by your HO insurance currently) which causes your HO insurance costs to triple. Well you are stuck with that. Whereas a separate policy you can just cancel if it becomes cost prohibitive.

Another good idea is to keep a list of items and serial numbers along with pictures showing condition. Helps with the claims process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Definitely look into a totally separate policy for your firearms and other items. They’ll typically refer to it as a floater or inland marine policy. It’ll have a rate/$100 of value so easy to see what it’ll cost.

The reason for a separate policy is you don’t want a claim for lost/stolen firearms effecting your HO insurance which is far more important and something you have to have.

For example: you have a “small” $4-5k firearm loss (covered by your HO insurance currently) which causes your HO insurance costs to triple. Well you are stuck with that. Whereas a separate policy you can just cancel if it becomes cost prohibitive.

Another good idea is to keep a list of items and serial numbers along with pictures showing condition. Helps with the claims process.

Thanks and I like the separate policy idea DS. I'm going to look into that too and will report back.

Eddie

Also those policies I referenced are not specific to firearms. Other gear or non hunting related items can be scheduled too.

My policy with nationwide they can only go up to $7500 total firearm (includes accessories) or you have to list individual firearms by serial # with them. I assume you'd have to do the same with scopes.

For anyone who buys and sells frequently, that's a PITA to keep it all updated. I'm interested in what is out there for separate stand alone policies..

I use Historic Firearms for my insurance. They basically offer a blanket policy for a set value that covers guns and accessories. No serial numbers, photos or anything else required. Cost is very reasonable as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hondo

WKR
A Personal Articles Policy is a scheduled policy separate from a Homeowners or Renters policy that allows you to insure firearms, optics, cameras, tools, and other personal property for a stated value and is a better option for covering firearms IMO. Generally it has broader coverage (worldwide and more perils covered) and no deductible. A Homeowners will cover theft and some direct damage (fire, water, etc.) but not lost items or those that mysteriously disappear where a Personal Articles Policy will cover all that no matter where it happens (like on a mountain). Most Homeowners policies also max out on firearms limits at $5000 and some do not reach that.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
Tagging this as I need something but prefer to be a separate policy to avoid having to change if I change homeowners to keep rates low.

Probably will be worth a call to your agent but our homeowners policy only covers up to $2500 in firearms damage or theft and the other option is to insure the more expensive pieces individually. I only have our higher end rifles and optics insured individually and it’s not that expensive. Like $25-$50 a year per item

Questions for your agent (AND GET THE ANSWERS IN WRITING from the underwriter because the agents don’t know crap about fine print stuff like t!!!!)
1. Is the policy limit the same for all types of losses or are things like theft different than fire?
2. How are firearm related things treated such as optics, ammunition, gun safes, magazines, and other accessories? Are they under the same limit or so they fall under normal personal property?
3. Do I have to maintain a list with the company of my firearms including serial numbers (this is a thing that at least one major carrier requires).

You should also quote third party companies such as Collect Insure. You may find it cheaper to get their coverage, and they often have lower deductibles and more perils covered.

Roy68

WKR
A Personal Articles Policy is a scheduled policy separate from a Homeowners or Renters policy that allows you to insure firearms, optics, cameras, tools, and other personal property for a stated value and is a better option for covering firearms IMO. Generally it has broader coverage (worldwide and more perils covered) and no deductible. A Homeowners will cover theft and some direct damage (fire, water, etc.) but not lost items or those that mysteriously disappear where a Personal Articles Policy will cover all that no matter where it happens (like on a mountain). Most Homeowners policies also max out on firearms limits at $5000 and some do not reach that.
This ^^^

Wrench

WKR
When I looked into it, it was cheaper to build a concrete vault and buy a vault door than pay the insurance. If you're over 50k it gets pricey and they want surveys on your pieces.

Hondo

WKR
A vault is great for protecting your firearms only while they are inside of it. Insurance is designed to make you whole again should you suffer a loss to your firearms whether they are in the vault or are out of it. They work together but are not substitutes for each other.