Firearm Insurance?

When I looked into it, it was cheaper to build a concrete vault and buy a vault door than pay the insurance. If you're over 50k it gets pricey and they want surveys on your pieces.

The one I listed is 35¢ per $100 annually. Using round numbers $10k of coverage is $35 per year. And they don’t want any info on your stuff UNLESS you have a single Item valued at $25k or higher. Then you have to declare it.

When I built my house I planned to build a Concrete filled CMU room with lid and vault door. That was going to add $28k to the project.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I know most have covered it, but I spent 2 hours-literally on the phone with insurance agent yesterday, redoing 3 policies.
For firearms/optics/accessories, I went with a personal property policy that is its own. No deductible, and it covers ANY loss, including dropping rifle out of a stand, down a steep embankment etc. Other items they cover are cell phones, smart watches, ipads etc. They (USAA) said "proof of ownership" is required. I then said how about a photo/video of safe and that was sufficient so they say. However, when I totaled the amount of coverage I needed, I quickly realized its exactly as WRENCH stated-cheaper to harden the storage of these weapons and have motion detectors added to gun room with our security system.

Now having a second home with expensive firearms there is a good reason for this policy.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I was told no serial numbers were required, but instead a detailed list would be beneficial. Such as Make/model/caliber/scope/rings/bipod and value to replace.

Before you buy the NRA insurance do your research CAREFULLY. They get poor reviews on actually paying out claims from my prior research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bigdog357

FNG
Check out Collectibles Insurance, approx .75/$100 of coverage, no descriptions guns or value required

WRO

WKR
I put a 50k adder on mine for guns and optics, I'm not sure it's enough.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Just a comment since this thread got me to thinking about 2A insurance.

I contacted CI and they will insure your items (for us it is 2A and art) under a PAP (Personal Articles Policy), but NOT jewelry.

Maybe not a huge deal, but I wanted jewelry, art and 2A under 1 policy to keep it simple.

I'll wait and see what SF wants to cover these items since they'll cover everything. If CI is a lot cheaper, then that might force me to have multiple policies for our personal articles of value.

I'll update this thread once I get more answers.

Eddie

manitou1

WKR
I am pretty sure you have to buy the NRA insurance separately now. Can someone confirm?
Yes, separately.
Also keep in mind that any collections, ie: artifacts, collectables are probably not covered. Wife's jewelry and "luxury items" usually have a cap between $2k and $5k depending on carrier. All these require riders for coverage on policies I have had.