Firearms Insurance

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
Who has their firearms insured through an additional policy? Standard is $1500-2000 for regular homeowners. Basically one gun

I looked into it an additional policy with my homeowners insurance company recently. The insurance company wants every make, model, caliber, serial number and approximate value for each gun. I am very hesitant to give this information out to a large corporation that would probably either get this info hacked or roll over to some heavy handed government pressure in the future.

I’m not wanting to give up my info for the protection.

What are your thoughts, experiences and recommendations?

Thank you.

Kotaman

WKR
First off, typically, your homeowner's policy is only limited with regard to the "theft of firearms". In the event of a fire, tornado etc, you should have the full value assuming you have a replacement cost policy.

Typically you have two options on your homeowners policy. 1. - To increase the theft limit of firearms or 2. Schedule them individually. You're gonna have to provide serial numbers to schedule them with most companies.

Your other option, which I recommend is to look at a members benefit policy of the NRA or SCI. They will provide you with a policy for just your firearms. I know the SCI policy requires serial numbers. I don't think the NRA program requires serial numbers, and you only have to schedule guns over $2500 in value. If you are a member of the NRA, it is worth checking their policy out.

Last edited:

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
First off, typically, you homeowner's policy is only limited to the "theft of firearms". In the event of a fire, tornado etc, you should have the full value assuming you have a replacement cost policy.

Typically you have two options on your homeowners policy. 1. - To increase the theft limit of firearms or 2. Schedule them individually. You're gonna have to provide serial numbers to schedule them.

Your other option, which I recommend is to look at a members benefit policy of the NRA or SCI. They will provide you with a policy for just your firearms. I know the SCI policy requires serial numbers. I don't think the NRA program requires serial numbers, and you only have to schedule guns over $2500 in value. If you are a member of the NRA, it is worth checking their policy out.
+1
AA.jpg

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
When I bought my house and first got my homeowners insurance this is one thing I spent time on. And this was 2017 so pretty recent I talked to the agent and explained to him that I had firearms that were older before registration of firearms so they weren’t registered and I had no intentions of registering. He took what I said was the value talked to his boss and said they would up the coverage to x amount whatever that was I honestly don’t remember but it was what I said the value of my guns were. Anyway they said that with the value that I have they didn’t need to get serial numbers and specifics just a dollar amount. Now if you have 20-30k worth of guns it might be a different story. But just my experience. So maybe look into another insurer if this is important to you.

jb1842

FNG
My wife works for State Farm. Found out the best way to insure for theft of valuable items is a personal articles policy. But I did have to give them make, serial number, etc.

davsco

WKR
just be sure you know what the insurance company will pay you in the event of a loss. it may, or not, be way less than what you paid. just check.

Mosby

WKR
I got my firearms insurance through the NRA. I didn't have to provide serial numbers, just general description and approximate value. Relatively simple to do.

Rob5589

WKR
I have a rider on my policy. About 100 bucks a year to fully cover all my guns. The standard was 2500 for loss. I did need to give a description and approx value, no serial numbers.

+ 1 on personal articles policy and SF...I have one that covers jewelry, fine art, and guns. I had to provide appraisals for jewelry and art not so much for guns. YMMV

I have an insurance rider on my match rifle in the event it was "lost in an airport" or whatever. You'll need pics, a written replacement value estimate done from some gun store. Most of them will write you one, you just tell them every part that's on the rifle and the replacement cost then they will be all set to write the policy. Make sure you have everything written down you want replaced in the event of theft and they wont be able to argue with you.

sab

Lil-Rokslider
In recent years, I’ve insured mine via riders on two different homeowners policies (I changed companies), NRA ArmsCare Plus, and through EasternInsurance.com’s special firearms policy. The least expensive, by a decent margin, is EasternInsurance.com. With all four options, I had to provide a list with estimated values, but no serial numbers, and no appraisals required. Most of the policies had a minimum single gun value of between $5k and $10k where an appraisal would be required, which included divulging the serial number. I don’t have any guns that expensive, so it didn’t apply.

I highly recommend Eastern Insurance’s program!

ericF

WKR
Eastern insurance. Less than $200 for about $45k policy with no serial numbers needed for any piece less than $10k. Look them up on the big gun sites, and you will see they are highly recommended, especially over State Farm, Farmers, etc.

Jackson242

Lil-Rokslider
Research your home policy and what endorsements can be added for additional coverage. A personal articles floater policy can be a good option as well. Do not trust your insurance agents word as most of them do not understand values of these items. They get paid commissions on each policy so they will sell you something to get paid. Find a independent broker to shop the best price. Make sure the policy is replacement cost not actual cash value. Remember in the event of a loss the burden of proof is on you. Just because you buy a $50k insurance policy does not mean that what they will pay $50k its just the maximum they will pay on the policy in the event of a loss. There are alot of good insurance companies agents out there. Independent brokers are smaller owned companies that don't have corporate sales quotas to meet so generally you get the best service and coverage since they are working for you not a corporate company.