fireformed brass

Turner

Lil-Rokslider
I'm getting good groups in my 7 rem mag with virgin norma brass, 69.1 grains retumbo and 175 eld-x. I'm going to start reloading my fireformed brass and was wondering if I should be expecting to increase my grains much to get the same results? I did test up to 72 grains on the fireformed and had very minimal pressure signs.

Mine is at its best under 70 grains of H1000 and 180's. It'll certainly go faster but accuracy degraded. Fired brass should be used for final load development in my opinion.

amassi

WKR
How many rounds down your tube? As barrel breaks in you'll build more pressure and velocity

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
T

Turner

Lil-Rokslider
I agree but I needed to shoot through the 100 virgin brass. I was just wondering if I should expect to increase about a grain with the increased volume?

tdot

WKR
As a general rule every chamber is different, so fireformed brass will change its' dimensions by a different amount, based on differences in the chamber. So the change in powder will always be different.

Personally I've found that altering the powder charge so that the velocity with the fireformed brass matches the velocity of your previous load found in the virgin brass is usually pretty close to the final load.... I've also found that to work relatively well when changing between different lots of the same powder too.

OP
T

Turner

Lil-Rokslider
ok, I'm new to this. In general would a guy have to increase the powder some amount to get the same velocity?

I don't increase the powder charge either. Could be dangerous if working near max pressure. Also different brands of brass may have different internal capacities and require different charges for the same velocity and for the same pressure.

Also, having practiced the "fireform" new brass for best accuracy to not be the "rule" - I've had as good accuracy with SOME brand new unfired brass as with 2x fireformed, the latest Hornady for .280 AI ! There a lot of hunting ammo handloaders that will use nothing but NEW brass for their hunting loads (old school ?)

N2TRKYS

WKR
Also, having practiced the "fireform" new brass for best accuracy to not be the "rule" - I've had as good accuracy with SOME brand new unfired brass as with 2x fireformed, the latest Hornady for .280 AI ! There a lot of hunting ammo handloaders that will use nothing but NEW brass for their hunting loads (old school ?)

I've actually thought about setting my shoulders back on fired brass back to the virgin brass specs. If I'm getting the velocity and accuracy that I want, why not? For a hunting rifle that is only shot a handful of times a year, would it matter that my brass life is only 5 loads versus 7?

Bump shoulder back 2 thousandths. Load as usual.

As far as why not go back to factory spec, generally, greatest accuracy will be achieved by matching cartridge to chamber. Your brass, your gun. If you’re happy with the accuracy you’re getting, continue as you have been.

rayporter

WKR
if your virgin brass is short by more than say 3 thou and you bump back to equal that [ more than .003] you really run a chance of head separations.

there is likely more at work than a sloppy fit-one being work hardening.

you will not get significantly more powder in the formed case unless it is an improved version

N2TRKYS

WKR
Bump shoulder back 2 thousandths. Load as usual.

As far as why not go back to factory spec, generally, greatest accuracy will be achieved by matching cartridge to chamber. Your brass, your gun. If you’re happy with the accuracy you’re getting, continue as you have been.

I've always been told that you're supposed to get greater accuracy, but I don't know how to improve on three holes touching with virgin brass. It's just something I had wondered why we do some of the things we do in reloading. Lol

I've always been told that you're supposed to get greater accuracy, but I don't know how to improve on three holes touching with virgin brass. It's just something I had wondered why we do some of the things we do in reloading. Lol
how to improve ? shoot for 10 holes and see what you get ….