Fires and Elk

I drew a late rifle tag, and as of a few days ago there is a fairly large fire that is burning in the areas I had escouted. Ive hunted 2-5 year burns with great success. Any thoughts on first year fires? I don't know how hot it is burning but it is in a mountain/desert transition unit. Is it worth still giving those spots a chance, or changing up and looking somewhere completely different? Obviously a lot of time for green up still. Just hoping I didnt waste my points.

dsayer

FNG
Possible that there will be some green up if it's a low intensity fire. But... Bigger question will be whether or not access is allowed back into the area. If it's National Forest or other public, expect an extended closure until at least next year in my experience. Fingers crossed for you.

It really a "Depends". Low level fire, not much of an issue. If it full of beetle kill, forget it. I will burn hard, and nuke the place. In those types of areas, I don't expect much for years to come. There are areas in the last few years that have burned hard, and you couldn't pay me to hunt in there now. It's still charred to the core, no growth at all except in the small seeps and crick bottoms. Everything else looks like the stuff you dump out of your grill after a good BBQ. Burns are not all they are cracked up to be.

Yeah, unit 8 in AZ where the Rafael fire is burning sucks. Good thing, is that it’s now 60% contained, but anxious to see the damage when they open the forests again to check out some of my honey holes to see how bad it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk