Fires are burning out west

11boo

WKR
I know everyone coming out for the bow/muzzle seasons should be getting pretty antsy, just keep this info handy. Your unit could be on fire, have a plan for an alternate.

It’s not bad yet, the only big one going is in 30/31 in W Colorado. But it is very dry, I’m sure more will pop up unless we get some rain. The Pine gulch fire went from 1300 to 11k acres overnight.

And make sure your campfire is out when you leave camp. I had some locals camped near me last year. Noticed they had left, but didn’t pay any attention to their site. Two days later I’m in camp mid day and smelled smoke. I hadn’t had a fire lately, and didn’t have anybody camping nearby. Put my nose into the smell and followed it to the abandoned camp. They had kicked a little dirt over their fire pit, of course it didn’t work. Their fire had gotten into the ground duff and was smoldering a good 10’ from the pit, 6” underground. Took an hour to get water and get it out.

this is a resource that gets updated all the time, use it often before you arrive.
https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

WTFJohn

WKR
I know everyone coming out for the bow/muzzle seasons should be getting pretty antsy, just keep this info handy. Your unit could be on fire, have a plan for an alternate.

It’s not bad yet, the only big one going is in 30/31 in W Colorado. But it is very dry, I’m sure more will pop up unless we get some rain. The Pine gulch fire went from 1300 to 11k acres overnight.

And make sure your campfire is out when you leave camp. I had some locals camped near me last year. Noticed they had left, but didn’t pay any attention to their site. Two days later I’m in camp mid day and smelled smoke. I hadn’t had a fire lately, and didn’t have anybody camping nearby. Put my nose into the smell and followed it to the abandoned camp. They had kicked a little dirt over their fire pit, of course it didn’t work. Their fire had gotten into the ground duff and was smoldering a good 10’ from the pit, 6” underground. Took an hour to get water and get it out.

this is a resource that gets updated all the time, use it often before you arrive.

Great post.

Check for fire bans as well, open fires may not be legal where you're going.

I'd also have travel contingency plans. I-70 was closed yesterday E & W bound near Dotsero because of a fire; know more than one way in/out of where you're hunting if you can. Two years ago I came out from a scouting trip to a pair of USFS firefighters at my truck telling me the area (including the road I had used to get in) was closing due to a fire that was growing quickly to the south (picture below). Also before you go add the phone numbers for the nearest USFS/CPW office. I called in a fire from ~20 miles away last year and it was easier to give the location to folks that knew the area than it would have been a 911 operator.

EB3FDD8D-2392-41A7-9BE6-7B0CB285EB3C_1_105_c.jpeg

Last edited:
Better yet NO campfire!

ive only done a campfire once because of my Paranoia. 99.99999999% of the time have been cold camps and headlamp or lantern depending on backcountry or truck camp. if doing truck camp, throw a shovel in your truck and an extra 5 gallons of water in a spillproof container. its really easy to do. in the backcountry i wouldnt even think of having a fire. unless of course it meant life or death.

Sled

WKR
It can be done right if you prep a good pit, use the right fuels (less sap to throw embers), keep it small and only burn when the conditions are right relative to your area (high RH, low temps and no receptive fuels near by). A hand tool makes it easy to put the fire out before bed. To put it out:
Cool the fuel to below flash point (water/dirt)
Smother the fire (dirt)
Or remove the fuel entirely.

When I mop up a fire I take larger wood pieces out and scrape them until cool with no smoke. Anything else can burn out until morning or be put out with water/dirt and mixed until cool. Keep adding dirt or water and stirring until you can leave your hand on every part of your pit.

It really is simple but most will half asses smother a fire and think it is good. After a few hours or days it dries out the fuel or brings it back up to flash point and it's back. A duff fire can lie in wait for weeks before some wind kicks it up.

edit: i don't mean to imply you should burn when a ban is in effect.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Most of Colorado is in a fire ban and I don’t see that changing before archery season. Make sure you do your research. It’s a big $$$ fine!

87TT

WKR
I lived in the mountains in a high fire area for 40 years. Been evacuated a couple of times and seen the destruction. Unless it's snowing, no need for a fire in Aug/Sept archery season. Besides, they are a lot of work and after a long day of hunting, I am too tired. Just want to eat and go to bed so I can get up and do it again.

BCSojourner

Lil-Rokslider

No open fires!! It blows my mind to look at 2018 YouTube hunts in CO when there were fire bans everywhere throughout CO and yet many archery hunters had blazing fires going in their videos. Is it arrogance or ignorance? Be smart or at least be informed and camp accordingly!

I'm actually surprised at how few fires are burning in Colorado right now. I just looked at inciweb and while some states seem to be ablaze, we have one big one. It's incredibly dry and I haven't seen much for rain forecasted. Even the alpine areas looked crispy brown where I was last weekend.

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
Most of Colorado is in a fire ban and I don’t see that changing before archery season. Make sure you do your research. It’s a big $$$ fine!

My experience has been if there is a fire ban in place, very rare to see anyone having one. It is very easy to catch an expensive ticket for just that.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm actually surprised at how few fires are burning in Colorado right now. I just looked at inciweb and while some states seem to be ablaze, we have one big one. It's incredibly dry and I haven't seen much for rain forecasted. Even the alpine areas looked crispy brown where I was last weekend.
One lightning storm could change that in a hurry. Or, one careless camper who doesn't understand the gravity of the situation.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
This is how things go sideways in a hurry
155ab13dbf72466ffe228f98385ad0bb.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

WTFJohn

WKR
They are by the order of the county sheriff in concert with (local) Federal authorities. If there is a Stage I or II ban it will apply to all public lands (state lands will mirror the USFS). Fires do not see property lines or land use types and will burn whatever lies in their way.

It boggles my mind how the entire Uintas range hasn't burnt yet. Every time I go up there, I see fires left burning at night when people go to sleep. Not smoldering.... Active flames!!! And so many have just left their fire entirely without doing anything to it.

greaseywater

Lil-Rokslider
Arizona has lots of fire ban areas right now. And some complete closures of areas where big fires burned earlier in the summer. Just saw an article reporting that people are getting cited for hiking in the closed areas.