Fires are burning out west

AGPank

WKR
Another one started up outside Frasier, CO. Very close to YMCA of the Rockies. Stay safe, and avoid campfires.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do these fires usually get better, worse, or no change as Summer winds down into Fall?

I have seen countless post about how it rains many, if not most, afternoons in Colorado in September. I’d think that would really slow them down.

WTFJohn

WKR
Gri
Do these fires usually get better, worse, or no change as Summer winds down into Fall?

I have seen countless post about how it rains many, if not most, afternoons in Colorado in September. I’d think that would really slow them down.

The only thing that is certain is they won’t burn through the winter. Some years we get a good monsoon season and have solid afternoon storms, some years we don’t. And just because it rains in one place doesn’t mean it rains 1/2 mile away; the mountains do interesting things to the weather patterns. Right now there is 0 rain in the forecast for the next week, so I wouldn’t expect it to get better before then.

Yeah the weather forecast doesn’t look like it’s going to these fires any favors anytime soon. I compared a burn map in my unit to onX and literally most of my option 1 -5 are burning or already burnt. A full summer of scouting now out the window. Had plans for Monday to go pull my last 2 camera’s but don’t need to worry about that anymore. Their ashes at this point. Time to start diving into plans X,Y and Z. But really hoping the loss of property or life is limited. My brother is a Wildland fire fighter in Alaska and heading this way in the next few days with his crew.

Lots of new starts in the last few days in Southern and Central Idaho. I don't think anything has blown up yet, but it's been hot and windy for the last week.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Amazing how fire does not affect the animals this bull was living within 200 yds of this fire screaming his head off in 2009 when packing him out trees were falling and snapping with embers popping fairly close to us great memories wish I had a gopro back then🤙21E5CF98-ECED-4EB6-9AAF-D627F44A39E8.jpeg80E4F47E-41A7-4DA5-BCAF-957A9AC877FA.jpeg3D310F78-94BC-4FDE-AC26-DB7C40D9CC6F.jpeg

Grizzly Creek is 6,200+ acres now, see pic #1 for the perimeter of that fire.

Pine Gulch is 68,000+ acres now, see pic #2 for the perimeter of that fire.

These updates and maps are to show how fast these fires can grow and the scale of their impact on the landscape to folks coming out west for the season & to remind everyone to check fire bans before heading into the elk woods.

View attachment 206446

View attachment 206447
Up over 100k some estimates place it at almost 125k now with no end in sight....

efnm

WKR
This shit makes me very depressed. I dream of having a cabin in the woods some day but I fear for the health of any forest in the southwest.