Fires are burning out west

Kmk343

FNG
Nice pictures, hopefully you guys can catch a break. We would love to send some rain from the Midwest your way.

WTFJohn

WKR
Pine Gulch fire is 42,000 acres since starting on July 31.

Grizzly Creek is at 3,200 acres since Monday Aug 10.

Both are growing rapidly, Grizzly Creek has jumped I-70 and the Colorado River and is burning on the south side of the canyon as well.

Pray for rain, plan for no fires. Stage 2 fire bans coming tomorrow for a lot of places that haven't already enacted them.

ElCapitan

FNG
i recently purchased a portable propane fire pit from Target for 95 bucks and couldnt be happier. no fire wood gathering/splitting, no smoke, no potential for wildfire. puts out plenty of heat if you turn her up as well, for us its the new norm.

Sled

WKR
As an ex wildland firefighter, have to agree with the comments about no need for a fire. It is hard to be safe with a camp fire and be an effective elk hunter unless someone is staying in camp to watch it. The fire from the night before is no where near out unless you drowned it and stirred the water in, effectively turning it over. So even if you don't have one in the morning, it isn't wise. Pack a small lantern if you need light, and a jetboil or other stove. Please be safe out there....

you must have been on an engine. hand crews know how to dry mop.

Sled

WKR

I posted this link earlier in the thread; it will have some of the info but the best & most reliable will be to reach out to the local county sheriff department/USFS office. Just assume at this point you won't have a fire, then if you can it'll be a nice surprise.

Here is a picture of the Grizzly Creek fire from yesterday afternoon (it started yesterday Aug 10) and a picture from inciweb showing the approximate boundaries as of last night (~1,300 acres according to inciweb 11 hrs ago). Here is a video taken yesterday in the canyon. For reference, the bottom of the canyon there is ~5,800 ft and the top is ~9,000 ft.

View attachment 205685View attachment 205686

From 3pm on the day it started, before it jumped the river. The 3-5pm winds really get things going.

Attachments

• IMG_20200812_092916.jpg
    IMG_20200812_092916.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 94

Sled

WKR
Ha Ha, I bounced between engines, helitack and hotshot. Figured it would take too much too explain anything else.

good job and money for hard workers. gets tough though when you have a family. helitack is nice for the family man though.

but i'm guessing you know what i meant when i assumed engine based on the water. only time we got to use water was with pumps on the salmon challis NF. and then every now and then an engine crew would get close and we'd run hoses. not worth the effort unless we were near homes

WTFJohn

WKR
Grizzly Creek is 6,200+ acres now, see pic #1 for the perimeter of that fire.

Pine Gulch is 68,000+ acres now, see pic #2 for the perimeter of that fire.

These updates and maps are to show how fast these fires can grow and the scale of their impact on the landscape to folks coming out west for the season & to remind everyone to check fire bans before heading into the elk woods.

2020_08_13-11.07.54.097-CDT.jpeg

2020_08_13-11.27.56.362-CDT.jpeg

When it hits the flat tops... they’ll basically have to let it ride until snow. I can’t see how they could effectively and safely fight it back there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dakota Dude

Lil-Rokslider
When it hits the flat tops... they’ll basically have to let it ride until snow. I can’t see how they could effectively and safely fight it back there.

They can't fight the Grizzly Fire now as it is. The fire team last night said that they are doing the best they can, but it's still 0% contained and will burn until there is rain or snow. They are just trying to protect structures and the Shoshone Power Plant right now.

They can't fight the Grizzly Fire now as it is. The fire team last night said that they are doing the best they can, but it's still 0% contained and will burn until there is rain or snow. They are just trying to protect structures and the Shoshone Power Plant right now.

What makes that especially worrisome is it is rare for them to talk about a fire that way, I just watched the feed. Usually they have a lot more hope things will go their way. During High Park every day they were convinced they’d catch a break.

Today a new fire started in Unit 7, it was called in around 3PM and as of 7:15PM it was over 1,500 acres in size.

I’ve got friends who were in the area last weekend. Really bad conditions. This one is also going to burn for a while. It started inside the wilderness boundary and the evac perimeter is enormous.
9d18f71fbaa0d77b330cd5adc30fe5ab.jpg

sacox31s

FNG
The smoke is horrible in the Denver suburbs right now. I can't see the mountains due to the smoke, and my house smells like an ash tray.

ozyclint

WKR
good luck.

it seemed like there wasn't much of Australia that didn't get burnt last summer. In one coastal town residents ran into the ocean. we were like rats fleeing a burning ship.

the internet goes on about how crap 2020 is. 2019 was $hit too.

Fires may suck for elk hunters while actively burning but they’re wonderful for elk and hunters over the following years.

I wish my elk area would burn again.

So far this fire season is shaping up like last year which is very few fires in the northwest.

netman

WKR
I’m too tired to be messing with a fire in September. I’m usually soaking my feet in some creek at dark.

OP
11boo

11boo

WKR
good luck.

it seemed like there wasn't much of Australia that didn't get burnt last summer. In one coastal town residents ran into the ocean. we were like rats fleeing a burning ship.

the internet goes on about how crap 2020 is. 2019 was $hit too.

Your country took a beating for sure last year.