Firewood Processing in the Back Country

ReefJones

Lil-Rokslider
New hot tent and titanium backpack stove owner here. Wondering what you fine folks recommend for processing wood for these small stoves in the backcountry. Not sure I'll draw my home state of AZ this year for elk (prolly not) so likely will be back in CO (where I froze last year). Any recommendations on folding saws? Would I benefit from a lightweight hatchet or just take two knives, Steep Country in the kill kit and some type of bushcraft knife for wood splitting and misc uses?

Thanks in advance!
Reef

PNWGATOR

WKR
Check out MTWarden’s posts here:

You could pair this with a fixed blade for batoning wood if you felt the need. If you decide a hatchet is worth the weight, there is NO better performing hatchet for splitting kindling than the Fiskars X7.

Last edited:
OP
ReefJones

ReefJones

Lil-Rokslider
Check out MTWarden’s posts here:

You could pair this with a fixed blade for batoning wood if you felt the need. If you decide a hatchet is worth the weight, there is NO better performing hatchet for splitting kindling than the Fiskars X7.
Thanks bud. Reading now!
Reef

PNWGATOR

WKR
There are people out there who nerd out on wood chopping stuff. I like to find the best value for my dollar with no compromise in performance. Here is an example of one of the tidbits of information I found before I chose a kindling hatchet:

OP
ReefJones

ReefJones

Lil-Rokslider
There are people out there who nerd out on wood chopping stuff. I like to find the best value for my dollar with no compromise in performance. Here is an example of one of the tidbits of information I found before I chose a kindling hatchet:
Thanks. I also have a couple of smokers and I think that k-axe is exactly what I need to complete my pit set up.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I like watering axes, the blades are thin so it makes chopping kindling really easy. Other than that, a Wyoming saw and some pyro putty make for an easy fire.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Can you link me an example of a watering axe? Assuming thin also means light?
Reef

My bad, that was an autocorrect thing. I meant estwing axe.

Thin means the blade is less of a wedge which makes chopping small kindling really easy. I can post a photo if you want.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I have an Eastwing too. Zero comparison between it and the Fiskars.

Ferrari vs a Yugo.

Seriously.

Thinhorn, time for an upgrade, I assure you that you’ll be glad you did!

EdP

WKR
Silky Gomboy 240 saw. Very light, very fast cutting with the double row of teeth. No need to split wood for kindling, just pick up smaller wood. Learn where to find dry kindling even when its wet out and save the weight.

jhm2023

WKR
I never split wood or bring anything to split wood when on hunts where weight is of a concern. I just cut stuff that is skinny enough to fit in the stove and leave it round. If necessity dictates that I need a titanium stove and lightweight tent, then there is zero chance a hatchet or knives large enough to process wood will be in my pack.

On less weight restrictive hunts when I bring my larger tent and and stove, then I always have my Agawa 24 and an Estwing campers axe or Estwing fireside friend.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
How it’s being carried and where your going depends on what I’d be carrying.

Sometimes nothing, Saws, hatchets, axes, knives and a chainsaw depending on where and when I’m going.

cnelk

WKR
Last September in Alaska, I found that any spruce bigger than about 1 1/2” in diameter was just too big for the Kifaru stove. The bigger stuff just seemed to choke out the fire.

Sure did smell good too

We just used a small saw to cut wood

BC392839-A5EE-4935-B929-C98782934BC9.jpeg

fishslap

WKR
Even with my medium seek outside u-turn I like to cut some bigger rounds. I’ve been using this Gerber for years now and finally wore out my old one last year so I bought another. Double duty with the bone saw blade. Light weight.

These two items wouldn't be backpack-able to me, but they go everywhere my stove goes.

Agawa Canyon 24" TD saw. Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe.

I've used pull-type handsaws many times and think they're okay up to maybe 2+" of dry wood. Many times I'm sawing up 4" or bigger dead and dried poles and splitting them into stove wood. A pull saw is slow and tiring to me on wood that size, but the Agawa Canyon saw sails through it quickly. Also much better suited for cutting poles for lean-to, meat pole, etc.

The GB SF axe is my indispensable would-be-lost-without-it companion. Cleave bear skulls at close range. Pound tent stakes into hard or rocky ground. De-limb poles. Split stove wood or make fine kindling. P9130118.JPG

EdP

WKR
The double row of teeth is what really makes the Silky saws shine. They cut very fast and make a wide kerf that prevents binding so that they cut on both the pull and the push despite not having a bow style frame.