Firing hand rifle grip

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm looking to see if anyone has specific advice on firing hand grip position. What I have found online was not specific, though did have good pointers. Or know of a thread on this that I missed in my quick search?

I have been dry firing my rifle and working on follow through. I have noticed that while my trigger control is good my sight picture shifts (about 2-5 mil, so significant) after the trigger breaks. After carefully working through it I think the culprit is my firing hand grip. This is a Kimber Montana to give people an idea of the stock design I am working with. It feels like the Montana stock is straighter and slightly longer between the tang and grip cap than the Sako I had been shooting. I have been sliding my hand down and back towards the grip cap area as this is most comfortable to me. I notice that as I press the trigger my thumb flexes to provide an anchor point and this corresponds with the direction of sight picture movement. Sliding my hand up feels unnatural (though I'm sure I could get use to it). However, if I position my thumb so that it is almost touching the tang the shift in sight picture no longer happens.

Like with pistols (which I have shot more than centerfire rifles), I an not using my firing hand to control or position the rifle, rather I am just squeezing the stock enough to provide a solid anchor to my trigger finger.

I know I could lighten the trigger (I would need to get a scale), but I am holding back on this for two reasons. It is (subjectively) already lighter than the triggers on my pistols and other rifles. I also like the added safety margin of a heavier trigger, both to provide a margin of error if I'm in a situation that has my blood pressure up and if I where to fumble and drop the rifle. Not certain that the second is a valid reason, but a heavier trigger makes me more comfortable as I carry round in the chamber, safety on.

I'm inclined to just say 'do what works' and relearn my grip position, though I need to play with it more to be certain I've actually found the culprit and the solution.

Does anyone have an specific advice on grip position?

Does anyone have any mechanical insight or experience to demonstrate why a lighter trigger on the Kimber would not increase the odds of a hard impact causing it to spontaneously discharge if the safety is off? If I'm not mistaken, the safety physically locks the firing pin, so safety on there is no concern?

OP
Marbles

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I think I found the solution. Part of it was me miss judging the amount of pressure I was applying and that I needed to apply with my firing hand. I think some of this was due to how I was holding the gun and some of it was just plain user error.

The other part was sliding my hand further back so that my pinky, ring, and middle finger sit on the more horizontal portion of the grip and wrapping my thumb over the stock so that it comes close to touching my wring finger. I had been laying it lengthwise on the stock so that it did not cross the mid line. While this feels like it over extends my trigger finger, it appears to have solved the shift in sight picture during follow through. I may end up adding a half inch or so of material to the vertical portion of the grip to bring it closer to the trigger, but for now will give it some time as is.

Hopefully I can make it to the range this week and see if this gets my groups below the current 2 inches at 100 yards.

Still interested if anyone has any input.