First 5k end of March

zacattack

WKR
Anybody run 5ks or other distances like 10k? I bit the bullet and signed up for a 5k at the end of March. I’ve been running seriously for about a year and a half. When I started I was terribly out of shape. I could jog for maybe a half a mile and that was it. My goal for this race is under 25 minutes. About 3 weeks ago I really started training for it. I’ve been running 3 times a week, doing intervals on Monday and Wednesday, and an endurance run on Fridays. Any tips or anything from other runners?

P Carter

WKR
If running the best 5k possible is the goal, probably shoot for some short fast intervals once a week now (800s) for two weeks, then mile repeats once a week for two weeks, then tempo run (2.5 miles at medium-hard effort) once a week for two weeks, I think that gets you to the race. (ASSUMING you’re under, say, age 50 and you’ve been running for a year and a half without injury.)

If the goal is better running fitness year over year, I’d say do a dedicated 12-week base period where you run 5-6 days a week, all at aerobic pace (conversational, nose breathing, or get a heart rate monitor), increasing mileage around 10% a week with every fourth week cutting back the mileage for recovery. After that-and only after that-start thinking about adding intervals. For now, you’re aerobically constrained. The interval work will improve your pace in the short term but at a cost and risk of injury. The key to long-term improvement (and running fitness generally) would be to be get the aerobic base built up. After 12 weeks of all aerobic pace, at say 20-30 miles a week, I’d bet you could run a 25 minute 5k at a very moderate effort. It’s simple but not easy! My two cents anyway.

Zac, good for you for signing up for a race and setting the bar high for your pace. You have been running long enough to know your pace and such. Lots of training guides out there but the strategies you mention are good ones. Keep up with your training but don't dwell on it. I mean to stay on track but if you miss some days or if they don't go as planned don't sweat it. Listen to your body and cut back if you have some aches and pains. Something that has helped me over the years is to figure out what my goal pace FEELS like. Anyone can match the pace with a watch but when your body knows if you are too fast or not fast enough. You will have to push a little harder in the middle of your long runs to get what you need to maintain the pace for the 5k finish. Good luck

Wingnutt

FNG
Started with 5k two years ago and running my first 25k in April. Their are a lot of good training plans but remember to just have fun.

OP
Z

zacattack

WKR
That’s basically my plan. Shorter intervals on Monday, mile repeats on Wednesday and then a long run Friday. Full body workouts 2X a week, then a long ruck on the weekend.
I know, I’ve learned to listen to myself on the injury part. Last year I had quite a few, but I’ve learned better running mechanics. I do about a quarter mile a week barefoot to train myself to strike more on my forefoot which has helped a lot. It also doesn’t hurt that my running partner has run the Boston a few times and is an exercise physiologist.

P Carter

WKR
It’s an ok plan for now, but overall high intensity would be too much as a percentage of overall training. High intensity should ideally be no more than 10-20% of volume. More than that, you are 1) leaving huge gains on the table from aerobic development and 2) unnecessarily increasing the risk of injury.

P Carter

WKR
Sure! I’m no expert, but I’ve been at the running thing for awhile and have read a bunch, and come from a family of runners. Heres the gist, as I understand it. The physiological changes that bolster endurance require consistent (at least 4-5 times per week) aerobic (ie, not too fast) stimulus (followed by recovery, of course). Most recreational runners—myself included most times here—are underdeveloped aerobically because they have not put together training periods with the consistency, at the right effort (slow!) and with sufficient volume (miles per week) to get those physiological changes to occur to even close to their maximum potential. Running aerobically has the least stress on your body, in the short and long term. Trying to work on lactate threshold or anaerobic capacity (intervals etc) on an insufficient aerobic base is working quite hard, in a way that’s hard on the body, for gains that are marginal and likely would turn negative pretty quickly. The largest gains in endurance, with the least strain on the body, would occur through a sufficient period of aerobic-pace running, with the additional marginal gains of lactate and anaerobic work occurring afterwards. But in reality, if you put enough aerobic base in, you’re likely to be able to maintain the same pace you are now but at aerobic levels of effort. That would equate to, say, a period of several months, running 5-6 days a week, all at an aerobic effort (effort at which you can breathe through your nose, or get a heart rate monitor and do MAF). At the end of that, if you stick with it, I’d bet you can that that same 5k time at an aerobic pace. Then if you wanted to through in intervals on top of that, all the better.

simply stated, most recreational runners are limited by their aerobic fitness, so the biggest gains with the least injury risk/easiest in the body are to be had by a sufficient base period of aerobic training. One year i did a strict 10 weeks, with a heart rate monitor, not exceeding aerobic capacity, and though annoying it did wonders for my running. (Looking back, that’s too short and I didn’t do enough volume in those weeks, but it was a good start) I nowdo that basically every year, though I’ve ditched the monitor and run by feel, and go for more weeks with more volume before doing any intense stuff. Again, I’m far from an expert runner, just thought I’d share some of the learning I’ve done.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure to hydrate and fuel days before, and start looking for the next race now lol!! They are addicting for sure! Good luck!

nothing new on race day