First aid kit must haves.

CalonDale

FNG
I'm getting ready to build a first aid kit for my first backcountry hunt and would like some input as to what y'all have in yours. Thanks!

Rob5589

WKR
Assortment of band aids, roll of cloth tape, some gauze pads, roll of cling, steri strips, super glue, clotting powder, tourniquet, Isreali bandage, quick clot pads, tweezers. Should be about it. It all fits in an Exo zipper pouch.

Leuco tape for feet.

Get some meds. More than you think. If you get a stomach bug or a headache, you are going to need more than two anti diarrhea tablets or two Motrin. I bought some tiny ziplocks and fill them from bottles at home. 10-20-30 of each depending on the length of trip.

Tweezers

Salt pills.

Shoes

FNG
Various bandaids, Gauze, tape, Israeli or the new .mil version. Pain meds, sterile wipes, Blister management, tweezers, small scissors, electrolytes. That should cover the basics.

Above and beyond: tourniquet, quick clot gauze or sponge (skip the powder), chest seal, splint, stitching kit.

I think if you're going to carry some of those additional items you should probably invest in a training course.

fwafwow

WKR
+1 on tourniquet and learn to use it. (See my signature for more info.) FWIW, I distinguish between a trauma kit (tourniquet and quik clot gauze) that I keep in the exact same place (left thigh pocket, same as my buddy so we can use on each other if needed), and a "boo-boo kit" that I keep in my pack that contains the other stuff.

I went to my doctor and asked for a few Rx's just in case and was given steroid cream, pain meds and antibiotic. Also got altitude meds. Luckily I didn't use anything other than the altitude meds, and not sure that helped much. You will find lots of prior threads on this topic, including whether it is advisable to have prescriptions in the field if you aren't a doctor.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on tourniquet and learn to use it. (See my signature for more info.) FWIW, I distinguish between a trauma kit (tourniquet and quik clot gauze) that I keep in the exact same place (left thigh pocket, same as my buddy so we can use on each other if needed), and a "boo-boo kit" that I keep in my pack that contains the other stuff.

I went to my doctor and asked for a few Rx's just in case and was given steroid cream, pain meds and antibiotic. Also got altitude meds. Luckily I didn't use anything other than the altitude meds, and not sure that helped much. You will find lots of prior threads on this topic, including whether it is advisable to have prescriptions in the field if you aren't a doctor.
Very true. Check out Skinny Medic on youtube.

btindall

FNG
I always have some poison oak treatment products as I hunt in Northern Cal.

Tecnu® Outdoor Skin Cleanser after you have been outdoors to remove the rash causing oil, urushiol (oo-roo-she-all) from poison ivy, oak and sumac.

Michael Pawul

Lil-Rokslider
Ditch the quick clot and switch to Celox gauze. If you need to use it, I’ll accept a beverage after you make it out safe.
+1 for quick clot, but after checking out the Celox gauze it looks like I am going to be placing an order and checking that product out.

Seeing most everything else that I carry listed above, except for Benadryl.

I carry an adventure medic .3 pre-made kit. It’s pretty light and has everything in it for a much cheaper cost than me trying to piece it together.

I know I’m gonna get hammered from all the online experts, but I don’t put a lot of stock into needing an expansive med kit. It’s simple, don’t do dumb shit and you won’t have an issue. Of course accidents can happen but for me, carrying a pound of medical stuff for the less than 1% chance something will happen is just not gonna happen. I’ve spent most of my free time in the woods and haven’t had any serious issues that would make me change my thought process. I’ve got enough training and experience to use what I have on hand to make it out.

Lawnboi

WKR
My kit has grown and shrunk over and over. I keep it pretty simple now. Lots of guys focus entirely on medical stuff and forget some important stuff, like a way to warm yourself, get yourself home or even wipe your ass when your buddy drops your only roll of TP in the drink.

Spare small roll of TP
Petzl e lite
Lighter
Matches
Wet fire fire starter, usually a couple
Blister strips
Tenacious tape, patches both clear and fabric
Ibuprofen PM
Benadryl
AA batteries
Water purification tablets
Compass
Tweezers
Fold up MSR plastic fork
Misc bandaids and some gauze
All in a small cuben dry bag.

Only thing I’d like to add is a tourniquet, but I just can’t get myself to carry it. A pressure dressing or quick clot gauze wouldn’t be bad either I guess.

Iv used every single piece of the above multiple times. I also don’t carry much for medical stuff. Being a paramedic I have the know how to use a lot more, but know a lot of it can also be made on the fly from other stuff.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I'd leave every bit of that other stuff behind if I had to chose between it and a tourniquet. :D

I wouldn’t, and havnt for years. Pieces from the above have salvaged trips that otherwise would have been ruined by having to head back.
I can think of a lot of “what ifs” to carry and would agree that a TQ would be worth its weight. Iv put on plenty.

I do wish someone would come out with a more compact and lightweight one.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
I guess I’ll mention too that a sos signal is also something I carry. Getting help on the way or at all will likely make the difference between living and not if your seriously injured back in the woods.

Austink47

WKR
A lot of the same stuff as everyone else. I have found KT tape extremely useful. I also recommend some sort of GU - energy gel. I keep everything in a OR backcountry organizer, and absolutely love it.

FlyingDutchman

Lil-Rokslider
I would 2nd the importance of leukotape or moleskin for blister care, and could also add some sort of lightweight signaling device such as whistle, mirror or a lightweight blaze item to make yourself visible to others in case of need of help.
Also I consider things to fix gear issues as part of the first aid kit so perhaps some electrical tape, paracord, etc.

J.G.

FNG
Leukotape
Quick clot gauze
2” Gauze wrap
Bandaids and gauze pads
Advil
Prilosec
Tourniquet
Bacitracin
Alcohol wipes

I also have a bottle of lidocaine, some sutures, skin prep. With this I can fix about anything that happens, but I have training in how to do so. I wouldn’t carry this stuff if you don’t have advanced training, you can make a simple injury much worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a similar Trauma Kit and First Aid Kit:

Trauma - 1 Tourniquet, 1 Quick Clot Gauze, 2 Darts, 2 Occlusive Dressings - I bring this when I am Shooting at the range, and on opening weekend just in case, as others have mentioned It would be really nice to have in that extremely rare emergency but is hard to justify packing it around all the time. I keep it high up and on the outside of my pack when I do bring it for easy access. And of course you should have the proper training to utilize things you carry.

First Aid - Band-aids, Aspirin, Benadryl, electrolyte tabs, Tweezers etc. - This is small and light enough to always have in my pack and has been utilized on several occasions.