First aid kit must haves.

Leukotape, it comes in a huge roll. You can make custom bandages by sticking strips of it to the waxed backing from adhesive targets. Then you can cut them out. Stuff will stick forever.

maclong

FNG
Lots of good info here but don't forget eye drops for anything in your eyes, they're kinda important, q-tips and Vasaline as well. All of these things take up no room and are so important. Plus you can light a fire with Vasaline. Q-Tips can help with small surgical maneuvers. I once brought my daughter to ER with a glass chard in her eye, we were freaked! The doc dipped a q-tip in Vasaline and I swear the piece of glass almost jumped on to the Q-tip.

T_Nelomz

FNG
Sorry if I missed it in the comments, but has anyone considered vacuum sealing their kit? it really cuts down on bulk. We do this with trauma kits we carry for work. The extreme items like tourniquets, chest seals and stuff. You can make one heck of a good trauma kit that fits handily in a leg pocket on your pants.

Pathfinder27

Lil-Rokslider
We used to do that in Afghanistan and then we could put them under our plates. Saw several rendered useless in a blast because they were unprotected on the outside. It’s a good idea if you’re with other people but they may be difficult to access yourself if you’re injured to the point you need the stuff inside of it. Vacuum seal bags aren’t the easiest Hong to rip open in a hurry without a knife or something

dtrkyman

WKR
Hey guys just a simple reminder, get a kit and keep it with at all times.

Found a couple bucks and packed in for 2.5 days(plan anyway) Had to haul in 2 gallons of water (ugg)!

day in I jumped off a log landed on an unseen branch (dead fall) it snapped and whacked me in the ear and side of the head, basically like being hit with a bat, luckily it rang my bell but did not knock me out, had to dig into my pack which had zero first aid in it and use a games bag for the bleeding from my ear, quite a bit of blood was running down my face and dripping all over my gear.

Fortunately it was not major but a lesson was learned for sure, cut my last 1.5 days of hunting off as I had no way to access the damage until I hiked out 3 miles to my jeep. My ear is swollen and a large gash was taken out of it.

BE SAFE!!!

aman

FNG
see if there is a wilderness first aid certification offered near you. having the knowledge will go much further and help you decide what to take